Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do mites lay their eggs?

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:21:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Substrate usually.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do they stick like, say, headlice, or roll like a fleas would?
in THEORY is it possible to get rid of mites without the use of predator mites or chemicals i.e frontline?
I haven't seen any more mites at all since the oil bath and i have been changing the substrate(kitchen towel) every day, and changing the cardboard hides/water bowl every other day...
so if no more appear over the course of say, a month, is it possible that they are gone? or do i really have to use a chemical?

Edited by - MissCat on 05/06/2009 22:26:38
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:27:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its possible, I'm not sure how sticky they are, but the cycle for eggs is 2-3 weeks. So if you have nothing then you probably wont.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry about this, but do you have any pictures of the predator mites at all? i am just wondering if it was the predator mites i found, or whether it was the actual "bad" mites... as i say, no sign of them now, not even on her.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:38:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.defenders.co.uk/pest-solutions/biological-sciarid-fly-control.html

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm. so they were the "bad" mites then, not the defender type ones.
Will i get looked down upon if i DONT go the frontline route, or is it generally better do do it?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:42:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all. Next time (hopefully there won't be one) I'm going to try Ardap personally.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm using ardap on the viv she was in before i realised she had them, but i am keeping her in a rub for now until i can get her mite free/shed/fed/calmer.
she just wont lose that ruddy skin. she's been blue/cloudy eyed for over a week now, and she hasn't eaten for over a month. :(
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000