Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:04:40  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all, has anybody any idea what this is?????

This is my friends royal not mine.
It shed yesterday, and when we checked it over today this is what we found. He hadn't noticed anything before this, and i know when i checked it over a month ago for him there was no sign of anything underneath. Although it did have retained eye caps and retained shed on it's tail.
Will ask questions about the tail soon for him, but am seriously concerned about the above picture.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:26:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It is on a heat mat and does the heat mat have a thermostat?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:31:27  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Agree with you on that Piers. Another option, is there any duck tape or vinyl floor tiles in the viv that it could have got stuck to?

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:41:46  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're thinking the same as what i was then. BURN.
It didn't have a stat attached to the heat mat when i checked it over, a month ago.
I checked the temps and saw they were too high and advised him to attach a stat. There is a stat attached now, has been attached for a couple of weeks, but i haven't been to my friends place since advising him about the stat so i'm unsure exactly how long the stat has been attached. Also unsure on what condition the snake was in when he did attach the stat.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its not a burn it could be a Durmal Fungal Infection (belly rot). Its caused by the snake lying in unclean conditions and often leaves the snake with a long thin scar (which can be confused with a burn). Tell him to put the snake on kitchen roll or paper and make a vets appointment asap.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:44:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, that snake needs a vet and your friend has found out the hard way why stats are so vital, poor snake

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:45:16  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks a bit on the raw side. Might be worth putting a bit of Tamodine or something on it to clean it up.

Edit: and as Piers and Matty have already said get it to the vet pronto.

Edited by - Paulusworm on 25/06/2009 18:47:12
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:46:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Where's GP when you need her!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  18:48:39  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just open a bottle of Lambrini. She'll appear like the shop-keeper in Mr Ben

Edit: Yet another typo

Edited by - Paulusworm on 25/06/2009 19:31:31
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  19:24:38  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
pffffffffffffft! I'M HERE!!!

looks like scale/belly rot, tamodine to wash and cleanse, and prolly a vet for antibiotics..........

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  19:36:34  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

looks like scale/belly rot, tamodine to wash and cleanse, and prolly a vet for antibiotics..........

Thank you, will get him to look at this.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  19:37:46  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh and use kitchen roll as a substrate so it's easier to keep the snake clean to help prevent infection. the viv/faun/RUB needs to be kept scrupulously clean too.

what's the humidity like in the viv? and general cleaniliness? and substrate?

i'm not thinking it's a burn as the sore patch i think would be wider, covering all of the ventral (belly) scales in contact with the un-statted mat although i'm NOT a vet......

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  19:40:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Best we've got though

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  20:08:18  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Best we've got though

Agreed.

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  20:14:18  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

oh and use kitchen roll as a substrate so it's easier to keep the snake clean to help prevent infection. the viv/faun/RUB needs to be kept scrupulously clean too.

what's the humidity like in the viv? and general cleaniliness? and substrate?

i'm not thinking it's a burn as the sore patch i think would be wider, covering all of the ventral (belly) scales in contact with the un-statted mat although i'm NOT a vet......

He cleaned the viv out today and put newspaper in as he had no kitchen roll. Was on coco husk before.
Not sure what the humidity is in his viv or how often he cleans the viv out. All i know is he cleaned it out today after yesterdays shed.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  20:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was on coco husk its likly it was sat in damp substrate.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  20:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awwwww.... poor little thing...

Edited by - dazb on 25/06/2009 20:42:19
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i agree with Ali, that was the first thing i thought when i saw the photo...

Are you looking after the snake?

it needs a vet asap....

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  21:14:11  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:

it needs a vet asap....

I'm not looking after the snake. I went up my mates to see how the shed had gone. Was shocked to see the underneath of the snake as it wasn't like that 3 or 4 weeks ago when i last saw it.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  21:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AddicksGlenn

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

it needs a vet asap....

I'm not looking after the snake. I went up my mates to see how the shed had gone. Was shocked to see the underneath of the snake as it wasn't like that 3 or 4 weeks ago when i last saw it.

i meant was you going to look after it till it is better...

sorry..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  21:42:34  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All i can do for the time being is advise him to read this, and see what he intends to do.
He hasn't asked me to look after it, but he knows i'm here to help if the need arises.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000