Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  18:24:59  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AddicksGlenn

Has to eat fluffs for a while until the burn heals to stop the stomach stretching too much.

ok the vet has explained the need for feeding fuzzies ie. to pass through the snake with minimal bulging and stretching, that makes perfect sense

quote:

his snake is a late 08 female weighing roughly 225-250g. The vet reckons she is overweight and should only be being fed on fluffs (fuzzies). The vet reckons a lot of snake owners overfeed their royal pythons and this is what causes them to stop eating for long periods of time

but IMHO at around 250g it's certainly not overweight! rat fuzzies are likely to be an appropriate size for a snake of that size, and i think he has got a point about people feeding their snakes (?too) well, meaning they grow faster than they would in the wild.......

quote:

my friend has to bathe his snake in some water with some iodine in it every day until it heals, starting tomorrow even though they fed it today.

as the meal size is quite small you'll probably get away with it 24 hours after a feed PROVIDING the snake is resting still in a very shallow bath of iodine/Tamodine solution, NOT swimming in it. it's a case of which is less harmful to your snake? leaving the burn untreated or risking light handling 24 hours post-meal?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  18:40:54  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

quote:

my friend has to bathe his snake in some water with some iodine in it every day until it heals, starting tomorrow even though they fed it today.

as the meal size is quite small you'll probably get away with it 24 hours after a feed PROVIDING the snake is resting still in a very shallow bath of iodine/Tamodine solution, NOT swimming in it. it's a case of which is less harmful to your snake? leaving the burn untreated or risking light handling 24 hours post-meal?

[/quote]

Maybe he could try making a tub with the mixture in and placing it in the viv, then the snake could go in the tub without being disturbed after feeding?
just a thought, scott
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  20:24:40  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wondered whether anybody remembered this thread????
I now own the female royal that got seriously burnt.
The burn is so much better than it was, and gets better with every shed. She's been a bit of a fussy feeder, but has grown to a reasonable 730g. This is quite good i think considering she had only eaten once in twelve weeks when i bought her from my friend, then having fed six weeks running she proceeded to go 13 weeks without eating. She has now eaten 5 of the last 6 weeks, so fingers crossed she will progress nicely now. You never know, i might even manage to get some pics at some point, due to the fact she had a rough time she's not exactly photogenic.

Edited by - AddicksGlenn on 19/07/2010 13:40:48
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  21:01:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well done you

Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  12:00:36  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being a newbie to the forum this is the first I read this thread (very interesting read, incidentally).
Big congrats on giving this snake a turnaround - you should be very proud of yourself as I'm sure its been hard work

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  13:14:20  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlannaJohan

Being a newbie to the forum this is the first I read this thread (very interesting read, incidentally).
Big congrats on giving this snake a turnaround - you should be very proud of yourself as I'm sure its been hard work

I managed to restore the picture to this thread so you can see how bad she was, will try to get a pic soon showing how much she has improved.

Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  13:17:14  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh gosh, just had a look. Poor poor girly But looking forward to seeing those improved pics

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
Yearling

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2010 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so glad shes in safe hands now - just had a read through the whole thread, poor girl,
hope she heals completely soon and it doesnt affect her too much, look forwards to seeing new pics of her

Sigs by lucifer
2.1 Cornsnakes: Montana (Carolina), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender).
2.0 Royal Pythons: Q & Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun King Snake: Simba
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  17:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Going back almost a year here I see but I know glen is around sometimes, any chance of the updated pic? Must be over 1kg now right?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  21:13:39  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Going back almost a year here I see but I know glen is around sometimes, any chance of the updated pic? Must be over 1kg now right?

Hi ya, Trinity has never been the most photogenic, but i will definately try to get a new pic soon. She's blue at the moment, so hopefully as soon as she's shed.
She was 971g at the beginning of April and ate a 100g rat weaner since then, so her weight is really starting to go up now. She has now taken her last 5 feeds without a refusal, which is a major improvement.
Since i bought her from my friend, she had never taken 3 feeds on the trot without refusing.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  19:41:04  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to get a long term account of a snake and also happy result. Glad she is gaining weight and in good hands!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000