Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Fan fapping tastic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  00:53:56  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote

As many of you know I recieved two non feeding CF royals a month ago. After settling in I tried to start a feeding schedule, but knew something wasn't happening, so, to try and stiumulate what I believe would have been their first feed, I tried live.

Well, the rat pups died of starvation after two days, and neither snake looked even slightly intrested.

5 days ago I decided that, due to dropping weights (down to 50g from 63g) I would assist, as this worked years ago when I first started with Royals, and I did the same for Stigs first feed (in the shop). Who took the assist feed really well, chomping down on her pup in quite quick time. Boo however refused point blank to have food in her mouth. I left her be until 30 mins ago..........

As I am going away for a few days I thought I would offer all the snakes a cheeky feed should I be delayed coming back (no one I know will feed them, hard enough getting someone to check on them!)

To my utter shock, Who STRUCK from her cave and devoured her pup!!!!!!! I still think that a snake that doesn't KNOW what to eat benefits from an assist, as her tongue was flicking like mad when the pup was dangled, and she has NEVER done this before.

Boo however, was as retisent as ever to take. I weighed her tonight and she was 49g, too low in my opinion, so I opted to try assisting again. SUCCESS!!!! She is blatantly weak, very skinny, so any food in was a good sign (I even bought some Hydro Life today she is that skinny). Took her an age to eat it, but its in there, fingers crossed it stays in there.

So, two two month old Royals, and both taking their first feed, happy chap. Lets hope Boo decides to strike next week.........

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  04:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done Karl..

fingers crossed for success all the way with both of them now...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  07:15:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats with Who, I hope Boo is ok.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  08:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love their names lol congrats on the feeds ^_^
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  08:40:19  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
T h I was given two as, and I quote, "that one has no want to eat, an the there ain't much better". Those words camefrom someone that deals with 100+ cf royals a year, so I held little hope.

As I wasn't expecting either to eat anythng is a bonus, one of he females will be for sale once eating regularly ;)

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  08:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done mate...

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
263 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  09:24:13  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
out of curiosity how do u assist feed?????.. as i know recently there was a big thing about someone on the dark side force feeding...

i like my animals more than i like people
Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  09:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you basically push the thing into their mouth and hope they start eating it. I was told by the guy at my LRP that most royals need this done for their first feed. Hell, Ozzy's feeding records say that he needed that too, and he's a perfect feeder, has an appetite revalling my corn's.

0.1.0 - 08 Anerythristic Corn Snake
0.1.0 - 08 Normal Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 - 09 Normal Royal
Python
0.0.1 - 09 Sinaloan's Milksnake
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  09:44:53  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
congrats on the feeds

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  10:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

out of curiosity how do u assist feed?????.. as i know recently there was a big thing about someone on the dark side force feeding...

Firstly force feeding and assist feeding are not the same thing. With an assist feed, you open the snake's mouth (either by nudging its mouth with the rat's nose, or by gently pulling the skin underneath its chin) and place the rat's head into the snake's mouth. Just place, not push. Once the snake has the head in its mouth you hope that it gets the idea and eats it. Please note that I have not tried this myself, and it's a good idea to get someone experienced to show you how to do it.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  10:36:44  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An assist feed is basically a force feed tbh, you open the snakes mouth using he rats nose, put it to the back of the snakes mouth, then hope it latches.

Ignore the dark side, it's children posting on topics they have no experience with.

It is NOT a pleasant thng to do for the snake, but, they have to feed when they are that low in weight.

The trick is making them secure enough to take the assist feed, I do know one three year old male who still assist feeds, never eaten alone, he is so used to it he opens his mouth waiting for you to put the food in, comical to see.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  12:52:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karl

An assist feed is basically a force feed tbh, you open the snakes mouth using he rats nose, put it to the back of the snakes mouth, then hope it latches.

Sorry, I disagree, a Force Feed you actually push the prey down into the snake's throat. As Chris says, with an Assist you just open the mouth and place the food in.

This is my take on it anyway.

Edited by - Blackecho on 06/07/2009 19:18:40
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  19:13:13  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice one

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:50:48  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:
Originally posted by karl

Sorry, I disagree, a Force Feed you actually push the prey down into the snake's throat. As Chris says, with an Assist you just open the mouth and place the food in.

This is my take on it anyway.

no your right, it's a matter of how you see it, both are basically forcing the snake to eat, just varying the amount of force with assist, lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000