New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  21:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My male Pastel hasn`t eaten yet, although im not to bothered as i`ve only had him just over 3 weeks. So i phoned the breeder to ask what he was fed on to give me an idea.
Well it transpires that he`s an awkward feeder and it was suggested that i should get hold of some Multi`s but not to feed him to many as he will quickly get addicted to them.
How much of a problem can this become because i`ve seen that multi`s are a native rodent to Africa and part of the Royals normal diet, are they just not nutritious enough?

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 16/07/2009 21:54:01

punumbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
263 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  21:56:50  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
multis are ment to be greatfrom what i have read for starting fussy lil grrrss.. as i have a few mamms and shall be trying them at some point once me lil ones shed... grrrrr.. as for them being a problem, couldnt tell ya prolly best to wait for gp,wolf, or BE to come on.

i like my animals more than i like people
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:04:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with Multis as far as I know, they are a type of Rat, just not sure you'll get them big enough when the Royal is bigger.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

My male Pastel hasn`t eaten yet, although im not to bothered as i`ve only had him just over 3 weeks. So i phoned the breeder to ask what he was fed on to give me an idea.
Well it transpires that he`s an awkward feeder and it was suggested that i should get hold of some Multi`s but not to feed him to many as he will quickly get addicted to them.
How much of a problem can this become because i`ve seen that multi`s are a native rodent to Africa and part of the Royals normal diet, are they just not nutritious enough?

you can if you can get a supply keep royals on multis for life...

they are in between a rat and a mouse and do get big enough...

where are you based?

have you tried him with live?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im in Plymouth,
I get no response with mice, last night he just looked at the one i gave him, no tongue flickering at all and it was still there this morning.
Frozen thawed Rats, he looks interested, tongue flickering but they are still there in the morning.
I would be tempted to try freshly killed before feeding live.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im in Plymouth,
I get no response with mice, last night he just looked at the one i gave him, no tongue flickering at all and it was still there this morning.
Frozen thawed Rats, he looks interested, tongue flickering but they are still there in the morning.
I would be tempted to try freshly killed before feeding live.

you could try gerbils if you can get them, like multis they are a natural food and more freely taken, or so i am told..lol.

I have not got my lot on multis yet, but once i have enough from my breeders i will be switching them all i think...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pet shop down the road had a couple for sale, might get one.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The pet shop down the road had a couple for sale, might get one.

be careful of Multis, they can give you a nasty bite and they are fast and jump..

spent best part of an hour here the other day trying to catch one of my girls after she jumped out of the tank...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

be careful of Multis, they can give you a nasty bite and they are fast and jump..

spent best part of an hour here the other day trying to catch one of my girls after she jumped out of the tank...

Its alright, i`ve got a cat

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Its alright, i`ve got a cat

lol....

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  08:23:20  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You say he seemed interested in the rat you offered? How did you offer it? My 07 shows interest in a deforsted rat but its almost like he doesnt understand where it is even though he is all over it!

I brain it and blast it with the hairdryer for a few minutes to get it nice and HOT, especially the head of the rat ...... he is on it in a second ... takes ages to eat it but he is a great feeder now i have worked out how he ticks

Try braining and warming it up ...... some will say doint get it hot but get it warm ... to be honest once you have got it hot and got to your RUB/ Viv it wont be too hot for him.

Good luck

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  10:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree Ant, hot is the way to go, plus opening the viv a bit so there is a gap and then hair drying so they get a whiff of it...

i normally have mine lined up waiting for the rat by the time it is ready...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  19:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, i`ll go and get a hair dryer. As Ant says its learning what makes him tick. I put the rat in a plastic bag and then into some hot water for around 5 mins. I have to admit that he is totally different to my female, she`s out when i have hers thawing out next to the viv.

Right im off to Asda.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 17/07/2009 19:37:24
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  20:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`ve got a hair dryer for £4, the rats out of the freezer, lets see what we can do.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  20:25:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that was a none event
Right i`ve taken him out of his 2ft viv and put him into a small rub. Crammed in 2 hides and his water bowl and filled it with loads of fake plants so its really compact,im thinking that because he`s so timid that the viv might be to big hieght wise. i`ll give him a week and try again.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 18/07/2009 21:30:20
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
263 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:22:50  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol got my hairdryer today £7 from wilkinsons.. foldable too..lol.. so be giving em a blast next week..but royals off to vets just for general check over in couple o weeks.. so once shed, b**** best eat..lol.. love her really..!!!!!!!!

i like my animals more than i like people
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well that was a none event
Right i`ve taken him out of his 2ft viv and put him into a small rub. Crammed in 2 hides and his water bowl and filled it with loads of fake plants so its really compact,im thinking that because he`s so timid that the viv might be to big hight wise. i`ll give him a week and try again.

good luck, keep us posted;-)

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  17:11:29  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck, have you tried braining the rat?

It gets easier

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  17:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antw23uk

Good luck, have you tried braining the rat?

It gets easier

Yes, tried braining, i may set up the camcorder next time so the more experienced can see if im doing anything wrong.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

diesel
Yearling

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  23:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had a sim problem tried everything and she wouldnt eat i ended up cutting the fuzzys belly open till a bit of gut popped out and she took it right away, might be worth a try with yours,

3.4 corn snakes
1.3 corn x rat snakes
4.3 royal pythons
4.2 king snakes
0.1 BCI

coming soon 1.1 butter motley corn

NEW WEB SITE...
http://kat80.webs.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly