glass viv
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  09:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have a exo terra viv for my royal, which is currently on a heat mat. (link to the viv http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/glass_terrarium.php)

the viv has a mesh roof for ventilation, when my royal becomes to heavy i will need to get a ceramic blub. I have a "bulb holder" which can sit ontop of the mesh, what i was wondering was, if i put in a 150w cermaic blub will this heat her hot hide (a log) up to 30-34 degrees? if not how such i go about this problem, cant really affor to buy a wood one and dnt think they look as nice either.

has anyone else used this kind of viv?

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  12:54:08  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i personnaly have no experiance with those sort of viv's but i wouldnt say its suitable for a royal.

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  12:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You wouldnt get much of a thermal gradient in an Exo.Terra I wouldnt have thought. Also, how close will the bulb be to the mesh? The surface temp of my ceramic sits at around 150*C.

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  18:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the blub would be about 3-5cm of the mesh. the main problem i can see is that the heat would just escape out of the top of the viv, its a 30 x 18 x 18 viv. so i would have though there would be a temp gradent between the hot and cold ends.

If not what can i do?
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  18:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also at what weight should i move from a heat mat to a blub?
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
263 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  23:43:50  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
think its black echo or remmy who have glass exxo terra vivs might be worth catching up with either if not both of them about the subject

i like my animals more than i like people
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  17:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

think its black echo or remmy who have glass exxo terra vivs might be worth catching up with either if not both of them about the subject

I have a exo terra viv but i keep one of my corns in it. I personally wouldn`t keep a royal in one as they are too open for a royal and would probably stress it out.

Ben, I take it your viv is 36*18*18 not 30*18*18. You will get the heat in there but what normally happens is the mesh will burn plus if the lamp holder touches the plastic top it will melt. To keep the heat in you can put a towel over 1 or 2 of the meshes.

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  17:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ty Remmy, and yes i do mean 36*18*18 well im goin to see how it works out, if not ill swap the mesh lid for a piece of wood, (maybe paint it black) then either have the ceramic in the viv, like it normally would be or just cut a whole into the wood on the top and place the lamp over it.

what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  18:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest Ben i wouldnt like to say. I have never used a ceramic heater in my exo terra. I know the meshes are prone to burning with the heat and i have heard of a few people where the plastic has melted. Its your call really. If you do go for it try it for a week before putting the snake in and keep an eye on it. If you do put a wooden lid on it make sure it locks on as royals are quite strong and may push the lid off.

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  09:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well what i have done is created 4 wooden pannels that just sit into the 4 mesh sections on the lid, and so far i am getting the temperatures i want in the hot end and the right ones in the cold end so it seams ok. also leave 1 pannel at the cold end only covering 50% for ventilation.

thx

ben
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  09:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just trying this banner thing out

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  21:54:46  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have Sabine in one of them, I mounted a ceramic cage to the mesh, then fitted a ceramic holder in the mesh too. Gradient is fine and so is she.

Stig was in it too. It didn't bother either of them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  15:12:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have only used glass vivs for hatchlings on a heatmat, when they are big enough they go into a wooden viv.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000