New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not about the strike speed.
Well i defrost the mice ontop of the viv and leave them there for the day and then heat/warm them up either in hot water or under the lamp. well when i put them infront of molly, she seems quite scared of it, well if she does want to feed then she will take about 2-5mins inspecting it, you know tasting/sensing it with her tongue, and then she will strike at it and eat it fine.

After watching some videos and looking at some pic's of feeds on the photo parts of the forums, it seems that as soon as the mouse is put infront of the snake its strikes at it, like they will also come towards the mouse but mine doesnt.

So was wondering how fast, from when the snake 1st knows that the mouse is there till it strikes it?
This will probably all depend on how hungry the snake is i suppose?

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:09:38  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think yor right, it will depend a bit on how hungry or even if it is ready, some days I can barely get the lid of he RUB and he's ready to strike. I think the age of the snake may have an influence too. When I first got mine he would only eat if i left it in for him, then it took him 2 - 5 mins to strike, now it is a quick flick and bam. It might be you rather than the mouse that the snake is a bit wary of. How old is your snake and how long have you had it?
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had her since feb this year. but i dnt know her age i never asked when i bought her, but she was around 100g and is now 270g. i do however dangle the mouse by its tail with my hands, used to use some bbq pincer things but the time from when i put the mouse in to the stike is around the same, i have never had a rly fast strike.
Is there anyway to minimise my presence?
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

i have had her since feb this year. but i dnt know her age i never asked when i bought her, but she was around 100g and is now 270g. i do however dangle the mouse by its tail with my hands, used to use some bbq pincer things but the time from when i put the mouse in to the stike is around the same, i have never had a rly fast strike.
Is there anyway to minimise my presence?

your very lucky she has not got your hand and not her dinner..

Peanut used to be real quick at striking, but now i think he has got wise to it and knows it is not going anywhere, sometimes he strikes fast other times he meanders like he has all day to get his dinner..lol..

Oscar when he is feeding is very fast as is Bliss my older girl..she is an aggressive strike feeder at the mo...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yer i know, she has never stuck the mouse anywhere near my hand but i suppose it will happen soon lol, do you used those large tweezers when feeding?
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i mean its not like she isnt feeding, which is the important thing, although i cant get her to feed every 5 days, its normally 7-10 days so i guess she wont be growing as fast as she should, this will be ok though right? slow grown or something like tht?
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:47:22  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would prefer to use the tongs for feeding, as royals use heat to "see their prey very much, and could easily confuse your hand with the prey.
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  22:53:03  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stig (until tonight) was always my fastest eater, as soon as the viv is opened he is out and strikes (max 10 seconds) Tonight though he has done something he has never ever done, refuse his food!
Sabine doesn't want/need it either (VERY blue at the mo)

Could be worse, our snakes could all be like Boo, a total NON feeder (unless assisted)

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  23:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yer it is a good thing they are feeding. I will try some metal tongs now.
Another thing lol full of questions tonight, if i defrost a mouse through the day try and feed it to molly, and she doesnt want it, do you know how long it will stay ok in the fridge or should i just throw it out. sometimes i just leave it in the viv but its 75% she wont eat it.
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  08:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd leave it in her viv overnight and if she doesn't take it throw it away in the morning. Perhaps it's just me, but once it's been defrosted and warmed up I really wouldn't try keeping it.

As for your original question, Princess quite often takes a couple of minutes to strike. Last time she was fed she didn't seem interested at all, but she did hoover it up overnight.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000