dry skin on head again! :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theonlydarrenever
Yearling

153 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  18:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so coco has dry skin on her head again. this happened last month and when she shed it went away. this month seems a bit worse than last. i have given her viv a little spray to try and lift humidity and i've not long given her a bath to see if that helps.

is there anything else anyone can suggest to stop this in future? it's really bugging me

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  19:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only a moist hide mate...I dont personally need them with my royals and get good sheds, but some people highly recommend them and use them all the time.

Go to Top of Page

theonlydarrenever
Yearling

153 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  19:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she sheds but for some reason her heads dry. im not sure if shes got a damaged scale or something.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  18:07:18  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you've had to rub at that patch before then the scales have potentially had some slight damage but should recover in a few good sheds.
after her eyes have gone blue then cleared THEN add a damp hide, take out her usual hides so she has to use a damp one and provide one at either end if necessary. damp sphagnum moss is best for this. keeping the humidity up in the few days running up to her shedding means she should be able to do it herself........ also make sure you provide something for her to rub against to remove the skin!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  18:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I hi-jack this thread for a quick related question? Ive not noticed my wee girls eyes going cloudy yet but she has got a wee dent in one of them and a slight blue tinge on some bits of her body so I assume shes shedding. Have I missed her eyes going cloudy or is it yet to happen? Ive added one damp hide in the cool end, wont it raise the humidity too much if I put one in the warm end too? Sorry if I should have made a new thread...

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  22:13:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
their eyes go blue and then clear again so it's possible you missed that phase as the rest of the description sounds right. adding a damp hide or two will increase humidity but as long as it's short-term your royal should be fine

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

theonlydarrenever
Yearling

153 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  22:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice one gp, i'll do that when i notice her back to normal after going blue. i've not had to rub at her head at all since ive had her, last time i tried to keep the humidity up and it sorted itself out after a shed. hopefully it'll be okay again after the next shed, but i will try the damp hide instead of her cool hide.

i should have some more room soon as i'm moving her into a slightly bigger viv sometime this week :)
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  11:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 Thanks for the reply GP

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000