Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  17:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a really agressive nasty royal i thought it may have been because he was just a little scared but its been 3 months now and hes got worse yet following advise from other people who keep snakes i cant think of anything to do this lil guy is that scared he bites his own tail if it goes in front of him and hes fed well and in good condition now i have made him alot better than when i had him he looks great just really agressive not even having to go in his enclosure and he bites and from in your hands he bites any help and ideas

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  18:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you housing him? What conditions in he in (temp? humidity?)? Was he like this with the previous owner/shop? Is he in a high traffic area of your home? A pic of your set-up will help.

Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  18:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right i have been keeping them since i was 3 i have 2 others absolutly amaing no probs. he is in a 3 by 1.3 and 1.3 he has plenty of hides and space not to much cus they dont like to much space he was cold when i saw him in the shop and he was fine no signs of agression
when got him home 3 or four days later once igot them out after there settle period he was going for me right away he had mites and was constipated so got rid of mites cleared the constipation with warm baths and still now he is angry he has his own room with my other royals and corn the temp is 85 and 78 to 80 at night the humidity is around 50 so great conditions if i am correct i am resorting to gloves now because he is biting even out of viv has had by dad with 20 years expierence with royals myself being around them 18 years it goes for everyone and very viv defensive really need some help
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  18:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont know if this will help but my Tilly was aggresive when i got her, i stuck a worn sock in both hides so she gets used to my scent and it seems to be working. Also your temp needs to be 90 in the warm end,85 is a bit cool.

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  19:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i have been told that but its got that bad now i cant even hold him without it biting at my hands face and everything i fear it could be slightly constipated any way of helping to clear it i belive that i cleared it but it may still be slightly there. any other suggestions do you put it under the substrate or on top
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  19:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he was cold in the shop, he wouldnt have been as able to strike and defend himself, which is probably the reason he was kept cool.

Are you using a heat mat or a bulb? How old in the snake? Weight? Length (roughly)?

Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  19:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he is around a 9 months he is taking large mice
lenghth of about 2 foot maybe bigger
weight not to sure looks a decent size
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  19:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at least hes feeding. It may be worth moving him to a smaller tank though. It could be that he is being deffensive in the viv because there is too much space.

Are you using a heat mat or a bulb? How are you measuring and controlling the temp?

Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  19:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he was in a 2 foot cube one and he was just as bad soo i just at loss to an end

just a bulb
he really is just nasty
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of bulb? If it on all night? Are you using a thermostat? Is it guarded? Where are the thermometers? Like I said, pic of your setup would help.

Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its a red bulb 100 watt its on a therm it goes on and off its been on that for ages now all my others are fine in same sort of setup yes guarded in the middle of tank i have checked the heat spots
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you put a pic off his set up on here

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not really aint got one i can answer any questions u have because its basically off top iof my head
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deano

its a red bulb 100 watt its on a therm it goes on and off its been on that for ages now all my others are fine in same sort of setup yes guarded in the middle of tank i have checked the heat spots

Ok......what type of thermostat is it running off? A pulse stat or a mat stat? That will stress the snake out. A light bulb turning on and off will irritate the snake. What did you use to check the surface temp and the ambient temp?

Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a propper light stat for lights so why are all the others ok running off the same stat same bulbs and same setups i checked useing multiple themometers
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A proper stat for lights...so a dimmer stat? If it was a dimmer stat, the light wouldnt be turrning on and off. Where is the probe for this stat? What type of thermometers did you use to check the temp?

Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the stat does go on and off but its a microclimate stat and says for bulbs i have 2 matt stats for the matts in other corn snakes and stuff and my royals are on that stat they are ok thermometers
Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no its a microclimate stat that all the others are on it is advertised as a bulb stat and all my others are on it i have a matt stat on my matts not that one. i used themometers
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dial thermometer of digital thermometers? Dials can be very inacurate.

Go to Top of Page

deano
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well 3 aint all gonna be out
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts