Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steve7046
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  22:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

This is my first post on here other than for my intro.

I have been reading quite a lot about how to set up for Royals. My question though is how good a heat gradient can you achive in a lets say 9 or 12ltr RUB. I keep tortoises and can achieve really good heat gradients on the indoor enclosures. I achieve this because the enclosure is fully open so the heat source provideds a hot spot at one end but quickly drops off as you move along the length of the table top enclosure. With the snakes enclosure being closed and relatively small I was wondering what kind of temperature gradient you can get with a heat mat.

Cheers

Steve

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  22:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A heat mat will only heat the surfaces it touches, not the air. Having a heat mat (with a stat) covering half of the floor of a small RUB will not affect the temperature on the other half.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  22:13:53  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heat mats only heat what is touching them so the substrate in most case and barely heat the air so the diffrence is noticable

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  22:34:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Snap

Go to Top of Page

steve7046
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  22:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, makes sense, I think where i was struggling was I tend to think of the temperature gradients in terms of air temperature as opposed to surface temperatures.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000