New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sonata
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  11:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, Iv'e been here once before about my python Arti he had a silver eye, well apparently it was just an eyecap. but I digress.

This time it's about Choke, shes not eaten since ive had her and she's still only small ive had her for 2 months, the python is around 6-7 months, I dont have an exact number because the previous owner got them when they weren't hatchlings, and he only had them for a short time also 2 month at most.

but it's beginning to worry me because of it's size i know it's young and not eating in 2 months is bothering me like hell, it's my favourite Python~ and reading these R.I.P threads seeing how their snaked passed away for no reason at all.

My viv is in perfect condition i change the water every day, i have auto humidifier, humidity stat, heat mat, uv lamp, bask lamp, the viv is a little too big for them but i put a lot of wood,plants,rocks, everything to clutter the viv up so they feel fine.

so the viv cant be the reason, iv'e checked for mites theyre both clean, theyre shedding in one piece with just a little hole or 2 on the side but thats normal... so yeah im like in need of assistance here of someone who's been through this, please!

Sonata
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  11:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously, I forgot to add...

How do i force feed it, i never tried but now im willing but i just dont want to brake its jaw or anything
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:45:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You say the viv is 'too big for them'.

So that's 2 reasons why they may not be eating, viv size and co-habitation.

I would not recommend force feeding at all, let alone without being shown in person how to di it by an experienced herpetologist.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On top of what BE says, you also dont need a uv lamp or a basking lamp unless by basking lamp you mean an infrared lamp on a dimmer stat..

have you got a photo of your set up at all?

what are your viv temps like how are you monitoring them in the viv?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UV light will flicker and anoy the snake. Seperate the snakes and stop adding to the humidity, room humidity is fine.

How much does the snake weigh?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was going to say that too- they don't require humidity or three heat sources.

I would put her in something really small- like a rub with 3 sides covered to make her feel really secure. With royals insecurity is the main reason why they don't eat, so may work.

Plus co-habiting may be another stress factor, so I agree that they should be separated too.

2 months isn't too long in snake terms so I don't think it's a force feeding issue yet. I would keep trying different techniques like braining the mouse etc for a lot longer before even considering force feeding.

Keep us informed!

Go to Top of Page

Sonata
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  15:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay your all going to think im a moron.
but please keep in mind these are my first snake's =P

i tried cutting the brain on the mouse open and it struck at it while it was still in my hand, I dont know what the deal is but this method seems to work.
Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  16:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust me, nobody on here will think you're a moron. Everybody is new to snakes at some point, the moron's are the people who try and do everything themselves without seeking advice!!

I'm glad i haven't had to try braining yet, but if it works then good stuff, just sounds grotesque lol

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  16:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sonata

i tried cutting the brain on the mouse open and it struck at it while it was still in my hand, I dont know what the deal is but this method seems to work.

nobody on here will think bad of you, we are all here to learn and help each other..

there is also a good care sheet on here that is worth reading..

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/royal_python_care_sheet.htm

again it would help us to help you if we can see some shots of your set up to try and help better

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  17:04:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sonata

Well that's good news

Brain juice smells yummy!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000