New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  22:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i finally got Joker to eat his 1st Rat after rubbing it against a Multi. However he has got to the stage where if i just offer him a normal DF Rat he actually looks petrified to the point where his first reaction is to retreat at his fastest speed back into his hide.
Have any of you more experienced owners come across anything similar to this before?
I cant see any benefit in rubbing a rat with a multi when i may aswell just give him a multi every couple of weeks, he definately seems much happier this way.

Royals owned "lots"

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  23:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

Well i finally got Joker to eat his 1st Rat after rubbing it against a Multi. However he has got to the stage where if i just offer him a normal DF Rat he actually looks petrified to the point where his first reaction is to retreat at his fastest speed back into his hide.
Have any of you more experienced owners come across anything similar to this before?
I cant see any benefit in rubbing a rat with a multi when i may aswell just give him a multi every couple of weeks, he definately seems much happier this way.

Oscar was like this for a while being scared of his food, and i had done nothing to make this happen, i have recently offered him small mice to try and get him back into it and so far it has worked...but if he is scared of it, try holding it at a distance from him and let him come to the prey item..i always do this anyway, and i tease them a little sometimes to so that as they come closer i move it away again, but not to far..also doing this they tend to strike rather than mosey on up and strike from close range..

but i also noticed it in peanut once and the reason behind his i think was not the time i dropped a rat on his head, but he had a retained eyecap and i dont know if that was the reason..

if your planning on keeping him then multis are fine, but if your long term plans were not to keep him then rats would be the way to go as multis are still not easy to get hold of around the country so it might be harder to sell him if you ever did..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  12:04:28  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dead or alive that rat must dance for its .... oh no thats not right is it!

I always wiggle the rat around the viv for my 07, i let him follow the scent of where the rats been (like he is stalking it!) and then when he is about to strike i move it away ... and then back again so he really has to work for his food like they would in the wild!

I dont really have a chance to do that with my 09, he is far too quick and i would be sure to get tagged, lol

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  18:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, i have no problem feeding him on multi`s, he will actively hunt it, hes just petrified of rats.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000