New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HannahB
Yearling

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  18:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right I'm looking to get a royal (possibly GP's yearling) at some point in the next few months but I want to check a few things first...

I have a spare viv that one of my corns was in but I know its way too big for a royal yearling/hatchling...so I was wondering what sort of size RUB or viv I should get.. I have found a 12L RUB at staples but will that be too big aswell? Its dimensions are 460 x 260 x 150mm (LxWxD) ... if anyone has some better suggestions then I'd greatly appreciate them

Also what would be the best way to heat the RUB? I have a heat mat with a thermostat already - would that be ok? I know the hot end should be around 30-33'c and the cold end should be somewhere in the low 20's... I read somewhere on here that as they get older they prefer to bask under a light - at what sort of age would I have to change to a light?

ooh another thing was I keep my corns on kitchen towel with paper shreddings which they love but would this be ok for a royal or should I just stick with kitchen towel? I can get some aspen or similar if paper isnt suitable..

think thats everything I wanted to ask..

thanks

Sigs by lucifer
2.1 Cornsnakes: Montana (Carolina), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender).
2.0 Royal Pythons: Q & Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun King Snake: Simba

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  18:24:26  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was enquiring about using rub's while in cpr getting my hatchling birthday prezzie.
I was told 9L rub for approx the 1st year, then 18L for the next year or so, finally moving up to a 50L.
I was also told that a heat mat is fine as long as used with a stat.
Apparently it's us, not the snakes that like viv's and lights.
As for substrate, paper, kitchen towel, aspen or orchid bark are apparently all good, just down to personal preference.
Hope this helps and is correct if not, i'll be very sad. lol.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  18:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above, though I dont really like orchid bark. I feel that 50L rubs are too small for adults. I think 3' viv is ideal with bulb heating.

I would use a heat mat, stat and RUB with a young 'un, and then when its big enough for a viv, change to a viv and bulb heating.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
Yearling

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  19:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool thanks guys
I've found a 10L which measures in at roughly 2ft x 1ft x 0.5ft, that would be ok wouldnt it? of course i would put some holes ect in the top for air circulation ect but depending on the size of the royal i would change this accordingly
also would the heatmat be ok under the RUB or do I have to put it inside?

Sigs by lucifer
2.1 Cornsnakes: Montana (Carolina), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender).
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  19:42:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The 12L will be fine, or an 18L.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  19:43:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  19:49:28  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php

When taking postage charge into account, would do just as good to go into Ryman's. If you have one local that is. I picked up a 9L for £5.49.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  19:56:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Or Staples or Argos or Tesco.

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  20:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh aye, the heatmat will go under the RUB, but put the thermostat probe inside the RUB.

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
Yearling

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  21:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i thought it would be but just had to check.. think im gonna raid staples but big thanks for the link..i might have a rymans in town - will have a hunt about
thanks for the help guys

Sigs by lucifer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000