Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  14:45:25  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

Finally I have setup all good and Heffa is happy. Eventually I had to get a small electric heater and boost my room temp. Its all good. Humidity stays in line with the room.

Just a quickie question though.

I think Heffa is going into shed, her eyes look normal with only slight dullness, her eyes have not turned blue.

Her skin is slightly dull, but has not faded or gone grey like in the pics i see on here and in books. Is she going into shed?

If so, what level of humidity should I rise it too, as I only spray the bedding slightly to achieve this. Her bedding type is kitchen roll.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  15:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may have missed her eyes going blue, I dont increase my humidity or add a damp hide and dont have any problems.

around 50-60% humidity is wot your aiming for.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  16:38:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't increase the humidity but do add a damp hide so that its their choice.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  16:51:32  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i move the water bowl to the warm end when their due to shed then move it back.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  17:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damp hide added - though not all my snakes like that option.
Some prefer to lie in their water and others just stay in their hides.
The occasional spray does the trick to raise humidity, but if readings are ok I wouldnt bother.

01.01.00 Whippets - Dylan and Tigger
01.01.00 AfricanGreys - Jasper and Ruby
00.00.15 KoiCarp
01.01.00 RoyalPython -Ebanks Blake and Gladysss
01.00.00 MojaveRoyal - Kelso
01.00.00 AlbinoRoyal - Ziggy
00.01.00 PastelRoyal - Phyllisss
00.01.00 SpiderRoyal - Wincey
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  21:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just move the water bowl closer to the heat lamp this seemed to be enough

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  21:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i add damp hide one uses it the other doesn't. but as every one above said if reading are fine don't worry about. as for the misting you just need to be careful how damp your kitchen bedding gets, as constantly lying on damp ground is not good for your sanke either. Your initial problem was that you were reading very high humidity so you probably don't need to be misting?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  22:08:36  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i add damp sphagnum moss to the normal warm-end hide........

i don't like misting personally, and haven't found moving the water bowl particularly effective but my royal's in a small viv with a smallish water bowl........

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2009 :  07:07:02  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok thanks for the advice. yer i had high humidity levels when using a dial. it registered my room at 75 and 85 doe her rub, but when i bought the ecozerra hygro, it now sits about 57%. Strange thing is, when i place my in/out thermometer/hygrometer for my room in her rub, it shows higher humidity betwweb 60 and 70. So im not sure what to think.

The humidity sensor for the ecozerra hygro is on the back wall, about half way up. Should it be closer to the floor. Will the damp hide make my humidity level go up though, and if so, what kind of level would I want to keep it down to?

Just dont want her to have a dry shed, as her skin is feeling and lookin a bit dull and dry.

Temps, I have hot end running at 88-90 and the cool end at 77-80, it drops a little at night, I found it at 75.6.

She still eating fine, and im going shopping tonight for some large mice, or rat equivalent for size.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2009 :  01:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well sounds like your getting everything sorted temps have settled well and humidity at between 50%-60% is good. if you placed the damp hide to close to the heat source it good effect your humidity. But as GP said with the water bowl thing as well it would/should be minimal. i would skip the misting for a bit to see were your humidity settles. as you may not need to be misting at all. my humidity normally rests in the mid 40's I have 5 viv all beside each other and 4 hygrometers checking them not one of them has the same reading. so don't worry to much about the difference with your other one.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  11:52:12  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Spor

Got some bigger meals :)
I got a couple of small mice, which I am going to feed with a hopper, and see if she will take both.

I got 3 large mice and 2 large weeners (rat)

To get her weight up, I am feeding her every 4 days.
It was quite funny, the day after I fed her I was drying my hair and as I heat up her mice with my hair dryer, after they have thawed to get the body temp up, she popped her head out, all curious and sniffing around. Think she thought I was going to feed her lol.

She tried to escape this morning, when I was putting her back in the rub, cheeky monkey lol. Everytime I try to put her back in, she puts her head up so I have to reposition her. Its amazing how curious and cheeky she can get. lol

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  11:59:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You don't need to get her weight up, it will come naturally. Feeding more often than every 5 days will cause more problems then good.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  01:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You don't need to get her weight up, it will come naturally. Feeding more often than every 5 days will cause more problems then good.

As above. what age is she now. and moving from large mice to large rats is a big jump up. Do you have a set of scales that you can way her on?

way her and then weigh each of the food items you have and post it up.
food item should be around 10% of her body weight. no more than 15% I would say.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  09:10:52  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She is inbetween 3 and 4 months.
when i weighed her last week she was 150, 2 days after i fed her she was 200.

I fed her last night and she took both the small rat and the hopper.

As it is a bigger meal then, I will leave it for 5/6 days, or 7 if you think that is best.

I was just concerned, as she was only on a small diet when her sisters were on a large mouse every 7 days, and she looked rather thin.

When I checked on her earlier, just to see if she had messed, she was all spread out, tried to put the hide back on her, but she wouldnt have none of it, so had to put a smaller hide on the hot side. left her spralled out.

I have tried to weigh the mice before, but they dont seem to register, especially the hoppers as they are so small.

Do you want her weight after she has pood and weed as she looks like she is going to drop any second

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  10:37:46  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the rats I bought are the same size as the large mouse, so possibly small weaners, not large ;)

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  00:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heffa

Sorry, the rats I bought are the same size as the large mouse, so possibly small weaners, not large ;)

thats not so bad then. 150 weight is ok for her age, so you can stop worrying there. i don't think there is much need for multi prey items any more.

but to go from 150 to 200 in one week is a bit excessive .
when you can try and get a post poo weight.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  09:18:56  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
checked on her this morning and she has still not messed. I got some moss last night and put in her cool hide. (soaked it and then squeezed all water out, so it felt damp to the touch)
She went and sat in it straigt away. yipee. Unfortunately i didnt have a spare tub, so had to go under butter tub, with hole in the side. bet be messy when i get home lol.

In respect of feeding, I will just feed her on small mice for next couple of weeks, then on large mice. Ill feed her every 6 days, does that sound reasonable.

Im a little worried that she hasnt shed yet, as it would have been at least 5 weeks ago now, that she had her last shed. Her skin is looking quite dry and dull, but not signs of blue eye or whitened skin. Hopefully the moss hide will bring this on :)

Thanks for the advice

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  11:36:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
She will shed when she's ready, don't worry

Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  13:07:46  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Weighed her on friday evening, as she had done a bit poo and wee. Her weight is 220G. Saturday her eyes went blue and her skin has dulled.

The humidity with the moss hide in fluctuates from 54 to 67. Which I dont understand, I guess this may be related to the electric heater in the room. To keep the moss damp, should I just spray it or put fresh moss in every few days when it dries out?

Havent fed her since wednesday, am going to try and feed her tomorrow, as that would be 6 days. as she is going into shed, she may not be interested, but we will see.

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  14:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt try and feed her, its her first shed with you so Id just leave her be. Not sure about the moss as I use paper towels in my damp hide.

She will shed within a couple of days of her eyes clearing up so just wait till then to feed her as she'll need a load of energy to get her skin off and its best not to take up that energy by feeding her. Also when she has eaten youll find she will spend a fair amount of time in her warm hide, when you really want her in her cool damp hide to help her shed.

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  14:16:28  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, that makes sense. I think in relation to the moss hide, I will put fresh damp moss in every few days, as when I have been spraying it, it seems to dry out quite quickly.

I know that a shed can take up to 2 weeks, will this be a problem for her if she doesnt eat during this time?

I noticed today, her eyes werent as cloudy as yesterday, and strangely her skin wasnt as white as the day before. I cant really get my head around it lol

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000