Reading Material
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  12:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came accross a great book at college, It has some amazing colour glossy pictures in it.
"Breeding and keeping snakes" By Dr. Dieter Schmidt
ISBN: 0-7938-0126-5
Probably not worth buying, but worth seeing if your library can get it in.
It was first published in German in 1985, and then translated into english in 1995, when they also added a considerable amount of additional/updated information and photographs.
There are a fair few different species of snake in general detailed, not much on royals, but a little.
Being a tad dated some of the information may not be entirely accurate anymore, however it is also a very interesting read, especially mating/breeding section, which covers 7 chapters. I especially like the development of the Young section, which details (in writing/ diagrams and colour photos) the development of the youny in both live bearing and egg laying snakes.
Pretty awesome, the day the eggs are laid the embryos have little arm buds! And then just two weeks later, the arm buds have disappeared, but the snake feotus has a human-esque face! I would post pics of it but dont want to break any copyright laws :)

edit: one i found online of the human esque face snake:

http://i.livescience.com/images/080729-snake-embryo-02.jpg
not as good as the picture in the book though

Edited by - MissCat on 10/10/2009 12:52:24

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  14:00:23  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That rocks!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000