Boo no be overweight??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  14:26:09  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3 months old, had shed, bright and shinny snakey, and eats 2 rat pups every 5 days, that is until i can get some rat fluffs for her to munch on

She weighs 205g, weighed her yesterday. I have seen a couple of threads where someone has asked whether their 3 month old who is 90g if that is too little (cant remember which thread), and replies say that is an ok weight.

just wondering whether Boo weighs a little too much or not

thanks

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  14:50:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's certainly a good weight, are you sure of the age?

They do all grow at different rates.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  14:53:20  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I first saw her in the pet shop she was 8 weeks old, and when I brought her from the pet shop she was 9 weeks old (so two months). I had her in September and now its October, so yea she is 3 months old. Mind you the pet shop had been feeding her every 3-4 days, so she probably ate a bit too much, but now she is on a rat diet every 5 days.

I think maybe what the pet shop was feeding her contributed to the weight, even though mice dont have as much nutrition in as rats.

Can a vet tell how old a snake is or is it a matter of trusting what the pet shop/breeder tells you???
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  14:56:13  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well she has gone up 29g in 12 days, sounds ok???
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  16:42:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds fine and no, you can't really accurately age a snake.

I suppose we're as good as Novemeber now too.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  19:53:53  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yea i was wondering about the speed she was growing in weight and length. I mean im not sure too much about how quickly Royals grow length wise, but at 3 months old, nearly 4 months she is 20 inches long, another 4 inches and she will hit 2ft long, at under half a year old.

either she is growing fine and im just worrying too much, or she is growing fast and im gonna have a huge snake when she hits adulthood.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is that weight empty?

i would not worry as long as she is eating and your not over feeding she is fine..

my girl was 200g at ten weeks old..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  00:41:33  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yea she was empty when I weighed her. I tend to weigh her everytime she does a poo, so I have regular weight records.
She is not overfed. Every 5 days she has 2 rat pups, until I can get her rat fluffs and then she is going to be on one of them every 5 days.
Maybe she is just going to be a big snake
Go to Top of Page

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My royal is just 3 months old and at her last weigh he was 197g i will weigh him again later
and let you know how much he is now.
Go to Top of Page

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  12:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, i ment 297g
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  23:18:57  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I must have weighed her when she wasn't quite empty because I weighed her tonight (this time she was empty), and there was a difference I couldn't help but notice:

15th September 2009 - 3 months old - 119g(empty)
17th October 2009 - 3 months old - 176g (empty)
29th October 2009 - 3 months old - 205g (not quite empty??)
5th November 2009 - 3 months old - 179g (empty)

The fact that she might have not been empty when she was previously weighed might be the answer to the lower weight at this current weighing session, however I notice that this also means that she has only put on 3g since the 29th October, and she has been on 2x rat pups every 5 days. Any ideas??? (She could possibly be starting to regulate her body weight as she was previously on poor pet shop diet of 2x mice fluffs every 3 days - maybe the proper diet is taking effect).

Anyone shed some light on this please????

****Also I used digital kitchen scales, that were calibrated before I used them

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  07:22:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rat Pups are pretty fatty, if you can move up to Rat Fluffs/Fuzzies you'll probably notice more significant weight gain.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  09:13:32  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot BE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000