New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davethecarpman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  16:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i said before my snake came in a 2ft x 15" x 15" viv,I am having trouble getting a graident of heat because the viv is small,At the moment i have a 11"x 11" mat set at 30c and 60w red bulb on a dimmer stat set at 27c the mat hardly comes on.Last night i brought a 3ft x 18" x 18" new viv, can you please advise how to heat this before i change over vivs,do i still need to use a mat or just a red bulb and what wattage should it be,also where to place the probe
Sorry to be a pain but this is my first snake and have got to do it right
Thanks

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  16:31:30  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for your new viv i would use a 75w bulb or ceramic.
for the viv you have set up now i would still only use one heat sorce so depending on the size of your royal i would use the heat mat if its is less than 800g or the bulb if over this wieght.

not sure how you measuring your temps but i advise getting a digi thermometer to calibrate your stat

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  16:56:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you have bought a hatchling, I would not advise a 3' viv, you'll stress it out.

As above, one heat source should be sufficient.

Have you got photos of your setup?

Go to Top of Page

davethecarpman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  17:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the snake is approx 6 to 7 months old
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  19:05:25  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my snake is 4 months old in a 3ft vivarium, heated by a red heat bulb (soon to be infrared) controlled by a dimmer stat which goes between 30.5oC and 32.0oC.
But this is just one snake, and my vivarium is packed out so i would listen to BE when he says 3ft is generally too big for hatchling. Your snake might be fine so long as it is well packed out, if it is eating well, then a sign that she/he is content.
As for heating I have had not much luck with heatmats, I would just stick with one or the other as well either heatmat or bulb, personally bulb or ceramic because they seem to be able to get the vivarium/RUB to the correct temperature a lot easier, but like I said that is just me.
Go to Top of Page

davethecarpman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  21:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: