New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  22:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have just discovered little Diego has mites, he doesnt look at all dehydrated, his eyes are clear and he hasnt been bathing or acting stressed.

Atm he is having a soak in some nice warm water with a drop or 2 of oil, I am thoroughly disinfecting the viv, and his hides, bowl and log are being cleaned too. He was already on kitchen towel, I found a couple crawling on there, none in the bowl, 1 walking on his skin and between 4-7 more under his scales.

I will try and get hold of some frontline asap, but until then is there anything else I can do to help him?

I feel terrible!

1.0.0 Royal python- Diego
1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
1.0.0 Miami corn- Crockett
3.0.0 Cats- Dave, Bodget and Scrumpy
0.9.0 Chickens- Mrs Featherstone, Stumpy, Lucky, Suzie Speckles, Daisy, Snowdrop, Duracell, Marilyn and Maureen
1.2.0 Border terriers- Milly, Mo and Harry
and about 40,000 honey bees.

trio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  22:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You and me both. I reckon mine came in with a box of moss cos he was fine unitl i put some moss in. Really fed up about it. I'll do the bath thing tomorrow did you use olive oil or will sunflower do the job?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  22:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
erm I used olive, only stuff we got and I didnt want him suffering

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
0.9.0 Chickens- Mrs Featherstone, Stumpy, Lucky, Suzie Speckles, Daisy, Snowdrop, Duracell, Marilyn and Maureen
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  06:37:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck you two.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  20:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mites are a real pain but they are treatable, main thing is to isolate the infested ones from any others as soon as possible, bathing is good to reduce the numbers drown as many of the little beggars as possible it also soothes the snake from irritation and a rubbing of olive oil is also good as it helps to suffocate the mites that are present on the snake. I use invermectite (Insect spray sold at most pet shops and is an acaricide) to spray on surfaces both in and around the enclosure but prefer not to use on the snake. You can either use frontline as described in the top thread or get some hypoaspis mites and go for the long haul approach but no acaricides on the snakes. I have used hypo's very successfully but it's your call, whatever treatment you choose - good luck your snake will thank you and you will be at ease again knowing it is clean and free of irritant pests !

Edited by - Robert on 26/11/2009 20:46:48
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  21:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update- Yesterday I counted between 4 and 8 on Diego, and found 3-4 crawling in the viv which were killed. He then went for a warm soak in water and olive oil, and when he came out there were about 3 or 4 in the tub. Whilst he was soaking his viv was emptied, disinfected and all decor disinfected too.

Tonight we did the same again, only tonight I couldnt find single mite on him- no raised scales either today. There was a mite in his hide that I killed, and 2 more on the kitchen towel. There is no sign that he has been bathing and his eyes still look lovely and clear.

Does this mean the treatment is working?

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  21:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Robert, thankyou very much for the info.

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
Go to Top of Page

trio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  21:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bathed rio tonight. He was a bit spooked to begin with but calmed down after a couple of mins. Let him run through a piece of kitchen towel after and about 4 or 5 came off on the towel.Is it best to bathe every night or to leave a day in between, don't want to stress him out anymore than necessary.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  22:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well diego seems very calm when soaking, the shop did say he was used to being bathed, so I am going to do him for the next 2 nights aswell.

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000