New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

harry01
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  23:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, i set up my royal python yesterday and today and the heat mat is reading 29 degrees, however my thermometers are reading 24/25 degrees at the warm end but they are placed just over half way up the viv. is this alright? I am open to any suggestions for changing.

HD

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  00:13:10  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is it a digital or a dial thermometer?
if its a digi one i place mine under the hot hide some people chose next to it tho.
if its a dial one throw it away and get a digi one (i know it was probably sold in your starter set up but they are uttly useless)

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake

Edited by - sexychef on 23/12/2009 00:13:26
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  07:47:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm guessing its a dial one if its halfway up the viv.

You want to measure the temperature where the snake is going to be, i.e. on the substrate.

Digital thermometers are very cheap and significantly more accurate, just search for 'Digital Aquarium Thermometer' on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Digital-LCD-Thermometer-for-Refrigerator-148_W0QQitemZ170419668685QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item27adcdc6cd

Something like that, <£3 delivered.

When you say the heatmat is at 29C, I'm guessing you mean the thermostat, in which case, ignore the numbers on the thermostat, just adjust the dial on the thermostat until the thermometer reads correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  07:55:21  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Yes, I'm guessing its a dial one if its halfway up the viv.

i was think exactly the sme...........rubbish thermometer placed in a stupid position by the manufacturer..........

digi is definitely best! if you're using a heatmat (ie.for a young royal in a faun/RUB/tub) the thermometer should be placed on top of the substrate above the heatsource and the stat set as BE explained above. if you're stryuggling to get the temps up try thinning out the substrate you're using at the warm end.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000