New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbsmog
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  14:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, I brought Ba'al home on Sunday (as I'm sure you're bored of hearing!) and I'm about to order frozen food from 888.

I'm currently feeding one corn on pinkies, one on fluffs and one on medium mice (weaners) so it's a pretty mixed, fairly extensive order. The rep shop where Ba'al came from had him on a couple of hoppers (I think, I'd have to check his record to confirm that). I've seen on here that I should be feeding him between 10 and 15% of his body weight.

I want to get his feeding off to as good a start with me as I can so I've two questions;

1) Will it be okay to quickly hook him out of his RUB to gently weigh him?

2) He's been on mice till now. Shall I continue with them or go straight on to rats?

Your opinions would be appreciated xx

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles) 1.0.0 Royal Python (Ba'al), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  15:40:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A hatchling Royal is capable of going straight onto Rat Pups or Small Mice, if its eaten a few meals, maybe even medium mice. Personally I'd buy some Small Mice and some Rat Pups, defrost one of each and offer the Rat Pup first, see if he takes it.

Go to Top of Page

bbsmog
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  16:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, will do.

Thanks x

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles) 1.0.0 Royal Python (Ba'al), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  16:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, if you are going to weigh him and it is a good idea to do that regularly to check their growth wait until he poops and weigh him empty every time at least then you'll get consistent readings.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  21:53:49  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd be tempted to try rats, then if you have no luck in a couple of months resort back to mice again to get feeding re-established

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

53 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just use pinkies or fuzzies.
Go to Top of Page

bbsmog
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i'd be tempted to try rats, then if you have no luck in a couple of months resort back to mice again to get feeding re-established

Exactly my plan GP, Thanks.

I gave him the quickest of weighs last night when I changed his water (he was clearly empty as he'd pooped in his tub at the rep shop when we picked him up). It's not 100% accurate as I literally did it in a flash so I didn't stress him too much. He appears to be about 208g (is that good for an August 09?) so I'm aiming for 25-ish grams of rat pup, bout 12% of his body weight.

Sound ok?
Cheers all x

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:57:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good and at that weight you're looking at Rat Fluffs rather than pups probably.

Go to Top of Page

bbsmog
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  22:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coolio. Rattie fluffs on order :)

Thanks BE x

edited because I typed the wrong thing LOL

Edited by - bbsmog on 06/01/2010 23:01:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000