New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  08:37:59  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Just want to thank everyone who helped me when I got my royal in May. Now I have bought another (arrived yesterday) and she is beautiful but I have concerns over her weight.

She is an late 09 Female pastel. I have her in a partitioned off large exo terra (length and with is length of her). She has a hide at warm end (30C) and one at cool end (24C), with a water bowl in the middle. I have blacked out three of the sides and am heating it with a statted mat.

Now weight. She is lively enough and bright and alert but her skin is loose and you can see her backbone. She also feels hollow. I'm told she is feeding on defrost rat pups and I have enquired about entire feeding history. She had a wee last night.

Questions:

1) Is set up ok for a possible underweight/non-feeding royal?

2) How long should I leave her to settle before offering food seeing as I am concerned?

3) Should I be concerned? Perhaps I am being a bit soft because my early 09 male is a chunky 400g

I will post her weight and feeding history when I get it.

THanks in advance everyone.

Edited by - 337smile on 03/04/2010 19:30:19

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  11:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The set up seems ok mate, I would just increase the warm end up 32-33*C.

I would leave her for the usual week to settle in before offering food.

Go to Top of Page

Lukee
Hatchling

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  17:27:49  Show Profile  Click to see Lukee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got my new royal python yesterday, hes really nice not sure of the age but hes certainly under 1, Arnt royals meant to be nocturnal or is that only corns? as my baby is 100% of the time looking out of his hide with his head out awake, just wondering if this is normal;/.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  21:06:18  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukee

Arnt royals meant to be nocturnal or is that only corns?

royals are, corns AREN'T!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  21:09:54  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to the OP:

set up sounds spot on but like daz suggested the warm end temp could be a little higher though at 30*C its not the end of the world lol
i'd get a starting weight for her and monitor it weekly to see if she's losing any. she DOES sound thin though if you can feel her backbone........can you remember if you could feel her ribs too? i'm obviously not suggesting you disturb her already to poke and prod her!

a feeding history would make a good read - IF it's real.........sometimes i'm sceptical about what people are selling but that's just me!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:13:26  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Quick update;

Feeding history. Apparently she fed every week without fail on a rat pup each time.

I have raised hot end temp to 31. However, she is yet to spend anytime in the hides or on the floor. She is constantly curling up on top of hides rather than in them. And due to the dimensions of her tank (hide at warm end covers heated area, she may not be getting the warmth. Anybody have any ideas why she is reluctant to use hides??? Previous owner says she is very alert and curious.

My plan is to try her on a rat pup tonight (bit reluctant to wait a full week). I won't stress her but give it a little wiggle and see if there is any interest. If not I will leave it in overnight. If she hasn't taken it then I will weigh her in morning and leave her for 5 - 7 days before trying again.

Previous owner sold me her as being almost 100g back in early December. Not sure if she is anywhere near that.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really would wait the full week to feed her unless she is in danger of passing away due to being thin. The last thing you want is a regurge.

1.0.0 Royal python- Diego
1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
1.0.0 Miami corn- Crockett
3.0.0 Cats- Dave, Bodget and Scrumpy
0.9.0 Chickens- Mrs Featherstone, Stumpy, Lucky, Suzie Speckles, Daisy, Snowdrop, Duracell, Marilyn and Maureen
1.2.0 Border terriers- Milly, Mo and Harry
and about 40,000 honey bees.
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:34:11  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I really would wait the full week to feed her unless she is in danger of passing away due to being thin. The last thing you want is a regurge.

I appreciate your comment but as i've just got her, supposedly weighing 100g, i'm keen to weigh her if she doesn't eat so I can email seller within a few days rather than weeks of receiving her.

In case anyone asks I bought digital scales today otherwise I'd of weighed her on Saturday when she arrived.

If she does eat then i won't be overly concerned about her being a bit thin. If she doesnt, then i'll weigh her and complain about being sold an underweight snake.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regardless of whether or not she eats, you have still been sold an underweight snake. I just think you are risking a bit much when you could wait 5 more days and then try her once she has fully settled in.

It won't be weeks before e-mailing the seller that way, it will be 5 days.

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
0.9.0 Chickens- Mrs Featherstone, Stumpy, Lucky, Suzie Speckles, Daisy, Snowdrop, Duracell, Marilyn and Maureen
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:38:30  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
alternatively..... I could weigh her tonight, but not offer food until Saturday???

AAAGHH!! Royals!!!

Can't stop worrying. What would everyone else do in my position? I don't want to lose her and/or the money spent.
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:42:47  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Regardless of whether or not she eats, you have still been sold an underweight snake. I just think you are risking a bit much when you could wait 5 more days and then try her once she has fully settled in.

Thanks for advice. I'm just not sure what is best. What would I be risking by offering food? Regurge? I thought the 7 day settling in period was for reasons of stress not digesting food?
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:44:08  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
weigh her, then wait 5 days before a feed, if she takes it then as long as she continues to take it each week then she should gain her weight pretty quickly. Im not sure if the seller was telling you the truth about her feeding perfectly on a rat pup each feed. She should be over 100g if this was the case.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use your judgement. You say you can see her spine and that her skin sags. I have just got a corn in a fairly emaciated condition, I am waiting to hear back from GP about feeding because he really is bad, but for now he is still settling in. At the end of the day if you think the snake is thin, then your opinion as the buyer counts.

Email the seller stating you are unhappy about the state of the snake you purchased- they may offer an exchange, or maybe a partial refund? You could say it is to go towards all the food it will need. Have you been able to take any pics of her yet? They would be helpful to see whether you have cause for concern or not.

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:27:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You could get some nutritional aid to add to the water while they're settling in.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 337smile

quote:

Thanks for advice. I'm just not sure what is best. What would I be risking by offering food? Regurge? I thought the 7 day settling in period was for reasons of stress not digesting food?

Exactly, if your snake is stressed and you feed it, it may regurge.

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:36:47  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You could get some nutritional aid to add to the water while they're settling in.

OK. I've decided not to try feeding her and going to wait until Saturday. I have just weighed her and she weighs 70g

How does that sound? What rights do I have re snake advertised as weighing almost 100g?

I also took a couple of pics and am trying to get them onto my computer to upload.

Leaving her now until Saturday with only a couple of water changes to disturb her.
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:40:11  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
should definitly be over 100g.
im not sure what rights you have really, someone else might know. looking forward to seeing some pictures and good luck with the feeding.
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:06:37  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Set up and snake:

Snake:

What you guys think?

How worried should I be?

Bought from the darkside, haven't left feedback yet and don't want to get into a slanging match but this isn't the condition I would sell a snake in.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say it is deffo a bit on the light side, but I think it will be fine with a good few feeds. I don't think you ought to be too concerned about it unless the snake is very listless, lethargic etc etc.

1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:21:25  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there is a guy on the dark side that has been selling bad conditioned snakes, under weight despite the selling weight. By any chance what was the username of the person you brought it off, it might just be the person that i and others on the darkside have been warned about.

and apart from the under weight bit, nice royal

Edited by - reptilekeeper1992 on 25/01/2010 19:22:38
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:28:15  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks. She is lovely. I'm hoping a few good feeds will sort her out too. Fingers crossed for Saturday. I'll be in a right state in she doesn't feed :-(

Don't want to mention names just yet but feel free to email me to discuss.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000