re-freezing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anton
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  19:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know some people re freeze un eaten food but how many times can this be done i wouldent like to do it more than once just wondering other peoples views

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  19:52:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't at all.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  20:40:47  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'll refreeze once, usually just put the left food item in the fridge for a few days till something else is due a feed though (the beauty of tailoring feeding programmes and not feeding everything on the same day )

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  22:35:31  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
same as GP. be very careful re-freezing take into consideration how long it has been at room temp or above. i dont have a clue how snakes bodies would fight bacteria so i dont like to chance it

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  00:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never refreeze, I don't think it's safe. I just feed it to another snake if one dosn't eat it.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  08:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there i never re freeze if in dought chuck it out.
Go to Top of Page

jesse1986
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  09:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chuck em out. I was allways told not to reheat meat!!
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  09:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i think its best to bin them, especially if you only have one snake and your going to be waiting 7days,..

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  12:27:12  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
but snakes don't just eat fresh killed in the wild, they're adapted to digest prey items that have been dead for a little while and a snake is better at detecting something that's 'off' than we are.

an item that's been refrozen and rethawed can be eaten and digested quite happily by a snake but if it IS too far gone they'll just leave it

Go to Top of Page

jesse1986
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  19:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

but snakes don't just eat fresh killed in the wild, they're adapted to digest prey items that have been dead for a little while and a snake is better at detecting something that's 'off' than we are.

an item that's been refrozen and rethawed can be eaten and digested quite happily by a snake but if it IS too far gone they'll just leave it

I dont see the point in risking a £200 loved pet over a £1 rat?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  22:06:32  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's pretty much the point i'm trying to make though...............the snake won't take the risk, it will leave it. and if it leaves it thaw and heat a fresh one............

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  08:25:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can you be certain of that?

Go to Top of Page

jesse1986
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  12:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

that's pretty much the point i'm trying to make though...............the snake won't take the risk, it will leave it. and if it leaves it thaw and heat a fresh one............

Fair enough royals eat decomposing rodents in the wild but how many wild snakes come across meat that has been frozen defrosted frozen defrosted? Its not worth the risk. Theres allways the one time they are hungry and dont turn there nose up at it even though its rotten. Is it really worth risking? Ide rather not have my snake regurgitating rotten rats because i wanted to save money!!! But hey thats just me LOL
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  16:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there was me thinking they preferred a fresh kill!

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000