Rat pups?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  14:34:14  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I went today to get some rat pups for my latest royal, his name is Tsezla, he is late 09, i was told last week when i asked, to put him on rats not mice.
I went to my usual shop to buy them & was told the rat pups are coming in very big, bigger than a mouse, (at the momnet he is taking small mice, no problem)so i got some rat fluffs, they are just slightly larger than the sm mice he is on. So look forward to seeing if he will take it tonight.

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  14:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck!

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  14:48:24  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it's a similar size to the mice that he's usually on that's the best idea

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  15:16:23  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, i'm hoping he wont notice the difference, but i will see tonight.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  19:21:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some shops size things weirdly, commonly pups are smaller than fluffs:

Pups
Fuzzies
Fluffs
Weaners
Adult Rats.

Anyway, as above, something of similar size to the mice is perfect. good luck.

Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  21:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might try rats next, my royal is on small mice.. i got 14 of them left, should be okay for the next 3 months atleast. then i tihnk ill try rats!

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  22:27:38  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, he took the rat fluff no trouble, was looking for more, but i only gave him the one.
Also, this afternoon i weighed him, when i bought him he was 69g that was on 16th of last month, today he is 96g, he has been on a small mouse weekly (till tonight) So i think thats a good increase.

Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  23:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow you should be pleased he took a rat firt time, very rare thing!

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  23:23:51  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it, he always seems to be hungry, so i don't think he cared much, it was food so he took it.
I am very pleased though, i hate it when they don't eat.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  06:31:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well done

Yes it can be difficult to switch them over if they get too used to mice as they smell quite different.

Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  15:10:46  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have heard this can happen, i think Tsezla didn'y even smell it, was food so he took it, that just seems how he is, he certainly loves his food.
I have another royal, about same age that i had on 5th January, i had her for a month & she didn't touch a thing, just couldn't get her to eat at all, so i asked if i could take her back, (i got her from a friend)he took her back for a while, but they have to tickle her nose with the fluff to get her to eat it, still not eating properly.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000