Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Update on Cleo & Lots of Questions for you's :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brookehamiltonx
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  00:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody, not been on here for a while so thought I'd give you a little update! Cleo's doing great, just shed for me on Wednesday and is around 300g - is that an allright weight for a 9 month old? She has never once striked/hissed at me and is probably the most docile snake I've ever met. Looks like she's going to be big! Currently shes still in the faunarium, and she's comfortable in it. But I have been saving my pennies for my dream viv so I should be getting that finished for late spring probably.
Now for the questions!!

- I really want to get her onto rats asap.
She is currently on large mice & has never missed a feed since I've had her. I have 5 left so I'm going to use them up. How would I go about making the transaction from mice to rats? And what kind of rat would I get (small,medium, large etc.)?

- What is the correct wattage for lamps etc. I have been looking on the triple 8 reptile website and saw that there's like DesertHeatwave mats & stuff.. What one do you get for royals?

- Also, what heat source is better, Lamp or Pad?

Any advice or links to websites would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance everybody who writes back.

Brooke Hamilton & Cleo !

Edited by - brookehamiltonx on 21/03/2010 00:26:26

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  09:10:45  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
answers in reverse:

Royals imho are better on ceramics, the bigger the ceramic the better (as the stat works out how much it is on anyways)

Getting her onto rats, some are easy, some (like my carpets) are a pita! Scenting is the best way, eventually leading to rats in mice jackets, which ain't nice to do.

Weight wise, it's kinda hard to say, as all snakes grow at differing weights, Stig was over 1kg at one year old, but some of the others I have had (admitedly non feeders in the beginning) were MUCH less. If the snake looks healthy you are doing right by her ;)

One thing, it's amusing how much quicker they grow on rats compared to mice

Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  12:45:24  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well i found it very easy to change from mice to rats, Tsezla is late 09, he was on small mice when i had him, but i was adviced to get him onto rats, so got some small rat fkuffs & just offered it to him, he took it, job done!! But, i do understand that all are not as easy as he was.
I have another late 09 & she is still on mice fluffs, not a very good eater & is not with me at the moment, she is back with a friend of mine, he is having to rub the fluff on her nose to get her to eat, but she is eating 2 fluffs a week now, so hope i can have her home soon.
Marg.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  20:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As hatchlings I used mats but as they get older and bigger they do need lamps ceramic or Infra red I prefer to use IR and I have 100watts in the bottom viv and 60 in the one above as there is a heat transference, always use a stat I use a dimmer with my IRs and always check with a digital thermometer to ensure that you are getting 30C in the hot part of the viv and between 3-5 C difference in the coolest part. My royals transfered without a problem from mice to rat weaners but you can always try thawing a mouse with a rat on the first few attempts if they are excessively fussy. As to the size you need to get rat weaners between 30g and 35g if your snake is about 300g in weight, not too large to begin with and then gradually increase the weight and size when they have transitioned.

Edited by - Robert on 22/03/2010 23:09:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000