My first bite!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  12:15:43  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well i supose it had to happen at some stage, I was feeding Tsezla last night, i usually take the hide away but didn't last night as he wasn't under that hide, so showed him the rat fluff & he struck at it but missed, he was sat in a corner, so made it harder for him as he had to go round a corner, if you can understand that! He struck again but got my finger not the fluff,all i can say is, i'm glad it wasn't my big boy, Tsezla is only about 4 months old. It didn't really hurt, but was a bit of a shock, it bled like mad & my finger is blue today, but no real harm done. He ate his dinner later.
Marg.

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeding tongs are a good idea. I use fishing forceps at the moment as they lock but will probably move up to something bigger as sal grows...

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

reikiangel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  18:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ouch! i dread this happening at some stage in bellas life but i do also use tongs to avoid this. i wonder if it hurts alot more when they are bigger? anyone like to shed some light on this and share their bite stories?

reikiangel 30 kent

0.1.0 royal python (arabella)
1.1.0 cats (elle and merlin)
0.0.2 giant african land snails (spongebob and gary)
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  20:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You must get some tongs apart from avoiding a miss aimed strike it also avoids leaving your scent on the prey :)..... never been bitten by any snake and I have had quite a few :)

Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  12:12:20  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have bought some feeding tongs, they came today, so i hope that wont happen again, my finger is still blue but is fine.

Marg.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  13:16:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As the OP says, its more shocking than painful.

It doesn't really get worse as they get bigger as they are still usually just warning shots where they hit you and then recoil to hide away.

The ones that hurt more are where they actually mistake you as food. A food-orientated bite is a lot more powerful than a 'get away' bite.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000