not liking rats, so advice on mice please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  15:37:28  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi guys i havent been on here for a while. my 9 month old royal is eating mice, and has never missed a feed. i have tried her on rats, this was months ago when i first got them, but she assumes rats are now a no go zone.
i am ok with keeping her on mice, but i would like some information on when she is an adult. She could be having 1 large rat when she is an adult, but because she only eats mice, she will need like 6 jumbo mice (approximately). i would like to know if it is ok to feed this amount of mice in one feeding, i know i dont need to worry until she is an adult, but i would rather know if this is ok for her now, rather than later.
otherwise a very healthy and happy snake

thanks a lot guys

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  15:59:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You may find it difficult getting her to eat 6-8 mice and also, the cost to you will be massive in comparison. I would keep trying with rats personally.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  18:45:28  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i did try her with rats BE, and she lost 33g in the attempt to convert her, and at the time she only just weighed 250g. So that's why I left her on mice, i would rather her eat something than eat nothing.

i was wondering could i, for the time being, keep her on mice until she gets big enough for the rat weaners, because those rats have fur on them, and i know royals are fussy so it might just be a she is being fussy factor.

If not, i was thinking about for each feed giving her a mouse and then putting a rat in her mouth just as she was swallowing the mouse.

i dont know if that will work but its worth a try
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  18:52:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
At 250g she should be ok for small weaners now.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  22:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try defrosting a small rat weaner in the same bag as a mouse to pass some of the scent across leave her for a week or so before trying to feed her the rat weaner if she is hungry she will take it but try not to feed a mouse if she doesn't just leave another week, I think mine were all around 300g and they transitioned just fine

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  15:50:06  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a pickie eater i feed a small mouse then follow that up with a larger rat weaner and it works a treat

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  21:49:44  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in the pet shop, the small rat weaners are around 40g each, and the size down from that is the rat fluffs which are between 11g-22g. I tried her once with a rat weaner but it was way to big for her, even though the weight was fine, and she just turned her nose up anyway.

I have brought her some mice, and once she has finished them then i might start doing the mouse-first-then-pop-rat-in-after trick. Might just work... thanks for help guys.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  14:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm having kind of the same problem now, apart from my snake molly fed on small rats for around 6 weeks, but now hasn't feed for around 2months, getting a bit worried, she just turns her nose up at them.

do you think i should keep trying with the small rats and just wait untill she's is so hungry she has to eat or buy some big mice and see if she feeds, which feels like a step in the wrong direction but i dont want her to starve to dead.

the setup and temps haven't changed.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  14:24:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Is Molly losing weight?

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  18:53:16  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as BE says is molly losing wieght, if not its probably just a fast, and molly will eat again soon

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  19:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well molly is 550g as of today which is the same weight as she was two weeks ago, before that she was nearer 600g but has had a poo since then.

she is just over a yesr old was 70g when i got her, so i guess is a little on the small size for a 1year old girl, would have thought she would be around 800-1000g but she has always had her off weeks/feeds.

is that weight ok? she is always very active on a night and when i handle her, looks very healthy.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  21:39:58  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have an 18month royal at 550g so dont worry and she has only eaten for a total of about 8-9months. 50g is not much really just monitor the wieght and keep an eye on her condition.

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  21:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well thats good to know, was starting to get worried about her.

thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  07:05:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
She's the same weight since she pooed so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her, she just doesn't want to eat at the moment, quite natural. Just offer food every week or two and weigh her if she doesn't eat.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000