New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  10:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I got Xena and shagrath out to be weighed, was feeding day but wanted to weigh the cos I havent before. I noticed Xena looked real dull and seemed pretty fliddy so I put a moss hide in and opened it to give it a little spray and she hissed at me but her eyes dont look to be cloudy yet. Is this all cos of shedding?
Sorry to ask but its her first shed with me and haven't had a snake before.

By the way Xena weighed 149g and it about 7 months old and shagrath weighed 197g and is about 8 months. Do there weights sound about right?
Cheers
Milv.

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  11:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like normal shedding behaviour to me lol. Yo might have also shocked her a bit when you opened the hide up :)
As for the weights, sounds okay to me, but I'm not the best at judging weights as each royal seems to be different.

Edited by - MissCat on 14/04/2010 11:38:15
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  12:49:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As above, sounds fine.

Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  16:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thanks :-) you've put my mind at ease now. Now to see how the shed goes aha.
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  19:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as above sounds normal. though try to avoid spraying directly at you snake as they are not to keen on that.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  08:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda took her hiss and a point of not spraying her haha. How long does shedding usually take?
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  12:28:45  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
once my corn goes blue then back to a dull coulour and it all coming off 2/3/4/ days max but wit my royals it took one of them a week and the other 3 weeks but that one had , had a really bad shed be when he was with other owner so can only say from 1 shed , i think it differs on the snake , conditions , misting or damp hide things like that do u bath ??

Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  12:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave her a bath about a week ago Cos she poo'd and made Mess a bit, but haven't bathed her since I spotted she's going into shed. But I didn't think it was wise to handle them while there in shed?
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milvstrana

I gave her a bath about a week ago Cos she poo'd and made Mess a bit, but haven't bathed her since I spotted she's going into shed. But I didn't think it was wise to handle them while there in shed?

I think that's only because they can get a bit narky while in shed as they can't see very well. It stresses them out a bit.
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  18:58:05  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when mine are going into shed as in going grey not quite blue i have a small rub with air holes and its only a bit bigger than there curled up position and i put warm water(as if ur bathing a baby) in that and put them in with the lids on so they feel safe and leave them for an hr check on them at half time . or add some warmer water and they both fine with , any other time i bath them but when in shed they are better and esyier to handle . hope that helps

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000