Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 Does Dorian look a bit on the skinny side to you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kylashnikov
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  12:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Kylashnikov's Homepage  Click to see Kylashnikov's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Got him out to check on him yesterday, as he still has to eat, I've been trying to avoid disturbing him but sometimes it can't be avoided (ie changing water) He doesn't seem too bothered by me handling him, but at the moment I have no working scales so I can't weigh him.

I am becoming concerned by the amount of back bone you can see when he's coiled :(

for scale he's just over 3 foot and about 2 years old.

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  12:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks fine in that photo.

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  13:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye when theyre curled up you can normally see/feel their backbone ridge :-)

As long as he's on the right size of food he'll be fine. The prey item should be 10-15% of his bodyweight or up to just bigger than the thickest part of his body.

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  14:04:28  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he look great to me alot bigger than my 3yr old male who is like a bit of string at only 560g.

Go to Top of Page

Kylashnikov
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  16:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Kylashnikov's Homepage  Click to see Kylashnikov's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've had him around three months and he has yet to eat, I'm becoming concerned to be honest. How do you find the best time to feed him? When he's in his cave, or should I take him outside so he's more active and likely to wander. I have no idea and I'm running out of factors to change while attempting a feed.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  18:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always feed mine in their rubs or vivs, i dont understand the reasoning of moving them as it may stress them out.
You need to figure out what makes your Royal tick.
I would try a selection of rodents, Mice, Rats, Gerbils and Multi`s.
I always thaw mine out in warm water even then one of mine shows no interest until i`ve given the head of the rat a blast with a hair dryer. Another thing you can try is to leave the food to thaw out next to one of the vents in the viv so your Royal will smell it and hopefully build up his appetite. I always feed in the late evening when its dark and when i see the Royals with their heads out of their hides.
Maybe if you explain how you attempt to feed we can give you some helpful tips,

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 09/05/2010 18:06:38
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  21:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he looks chunky in that pick, what does he feel like. does he feel strong, and grip well when coiled around your wrist. You need to get a set of scales so you can accuratley access if he is lossing weight. Two of mine haven't eaten from the start of feb. they were small to begin with put haven't lost any weight worth worrying about.

I feed all mine in the late evening and to be honest its normally around 1am.but thats just what works best for me as i normally end up being on a late shift in work on feeding day.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

Kylashnikov
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  20:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Kylashnikov's Homepage  Click to see Kylashnikov's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's dead strong, if he;s out his enclosure and wants to stay out its a struggle to get him back in sometimes without being too forceful (I try to be as gentle as possible) He can probably extend over half his body upwards/outwards without having anything under it.

In other news I'm currently defrosting a nice Brown mouse for him, and I can just see his nose poking out of his hive, the mouse is in warm water so hopefully it won't take too long then when it's defrosted I'll put the mouse under the hairdryer for longer than I normally do, as I'm not sure on the heat of the critters head.

I don't know whether to use tongs and try to get a strike or to just leave it in there and see if he takes it. Previously both attempts with both those methods have yielded unsuccessful.
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  00:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what size is the mouse your offering him. he looks like he should be on medium rat weaners at least. which woul weigh more than 50grams. a mouse may just seem to small for him to be interested in.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  21:33:26  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
has any one ever had that a royal refuse some thing cause its too small ??

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  19:12:08  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when i was trying to get my royal onto rats he would not got for brow of black rats they had to be all white or he wouldnt bother but now when i put a rat in he taste it in the air aims an BANG its gone lol he dnt think about it now, but sometimes he wouldnt take the rat if it was bigger than the mouse he was feeding on i had to give him the ones slightly smaller than the mouse and he would normaly take 2, but hes fine now hes gaining weight and feeds every 5 days, well doig it every 6 days as ive moved him up to small rat wieners. these guys and gals will no more than me :)
Go to Top of Page

Kylashnikov
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  18:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Kylashnikov's Homepage  Click to see Kylashnikov's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's on the extra large mice at the moment and he was eating them for the store I bought him from. :(
Go to Top of Page

Kylashnikov
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  20:41:13  Show Profile  Visit Kylashnikov's Homepage  Click to see Kylashnikov's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Here's some more photos of the fella.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000