New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John_Boy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  14:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im looking at building a new, much more natural setting viv, inspired by some of the threads on the darkside. The only problem is that i cant seem to find and pics of Royals wild habitat. Tried searching the net to find some pics for inspiration, but africa is such a diverse place. Has anyone got any pics of Royals in the wild? Or what sort of places do they live?

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  14:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try looking through here mate...

http://www.faunaimportuk.com/ghana_trip.htm

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  15:12:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They live in rodent burrows, good luck

Go to Top of Page

John_Boy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  15:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know they live in rodent burrows but im trying to recreate the areas above ground where they would be. i dont think a giant rodent burrow would make the most exciting looking viv. lol
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  18:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in the same boat as you.
I ended up with this:
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3744&whichpage=1

There was such a lack of info around on the net that i picked one aspect and went with that. I read thathey can be found in burrows and around rock land so chose to give her a slate to hide under and bask on top and a high perch to climb and hide in

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Grace
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  23:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just an idea but has anyone ever used astoturf in their viv? Just got our 1st Royal & I have been advised that they enjoy AstroTurf? Just want 2 make sure we do right by her. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  23:37:01  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know people who have as its cheaper than reptile carpet and as far as i know it was fine but thats only 3 hand hand advice if you get me x x

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  06:29:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've thought about Astroturf in the past, if I was going to use it I would only buy the really expensive (so nice and soft) stuff and I'd want several pieces so you can be washing some (somehow, never figured that out really) while another is in the viv. Astroturf has no absorbance so urine will just lie there. I think that keeping it clean will be the hardest battle.

As for 'liking it', I'm not sure Royals know what Astroturf is and I can't see any reason for them preferring it over other substrates.

Personally I chose to stick with Aspen/Aubiose/Hemp.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  22:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too am an aspen fan it works well just give your python a safe hideaway on the warm side and again on the cool side and anything else you add is a bonus :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000