New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well had Beau about 6 months now and on shed number 4, as of yet he still hasn't shed in one piece, so he has had a bath tonight, worst parts have shed IE eye caps and tail just waiting for the middle to do!!!!!!

3 Corns, 1 anery,common,snow 6 cats
1 dog

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

kevtore999
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  10:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had my Royal four weeks and he's shed once although it was all over his viv in pieces lol he'd done a nice smelly poo too lol
Go to Top of Page

Nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  11:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh i know it does stink, i check every day for poo, just in case i miss it when i do find it, this is his worst shed yet, he has been like this for 10 days now, i have bathed him, sprayed him, moist hides etc not sure what else i can do?

1 dog

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  21:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
next time when due to shed. when the eyes have cleared from blue give him a warm bath then for 15 to 20mins and see if that helps.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  22:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nails, can i ask what you keep Beau in, is it a wooden viv? If so then can i suggest moving him to a rub with a heat mat when you notice him going into shed. My female Hannah cannot shed properly for love or money if she is in a viv as i assume the wood absorbs the moisture messing up the humity. I have spoken to some reptile dealers and one said to soak the snake for 10 mins a night with a couple of drops of aloe vera and this should help.
The last time Hannah was in shed i put her into a rub with a heat mat and she had no problems at all.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 15/05/2010 22:34:08
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  22:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First shed for me was a real bad one.

Second time round as soon as i saw the first signs of shedding, I put damp wet flannel towels around the edges of the hides, so he has to lay on/in them. and increased humidity, also providing a peic of logbark, which he used to aid shedding and thats where i found the fully shed skin the next morning.

So just keeping everything really humid and having things to aid his shed worked for me. allways sheds in 1 now :)

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

Nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes he is in a wooden Viv there is a plastic tub in there with moss in it begins with S????
i have been bathing him as well, he has a huge lump of wood/bark in his viv, which does end up with skin on it. Is the Aloe pure oil??

1 dog

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  09:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The oil is from a plant, you just need a couple of drops, it will help soften the skin, you can get it at a chemists.
It sounds like your humidity is wrong, this is easy to find out if you put Beau in a rub on paper instead of sustrate. All the wood in a viv will absorb moisture, visually pleasing for our eyes but not always great for our snakes.
I take it your using spagnum moss, i used this and Hannah still had a bad shed. Strange thing is my other Royals are all fine.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 16/05/2010 10:00:31
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  13:44:57  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i find that if i put extra stones in viv e.g in front of damp hide they have no choice but to go over it and it helps rub the old skin off , i also bath the day b4 they go BLUE you know when they are still going grey and my corn has only had i bad shed in 6 months and he sheds every 4/5 weeks at moment , male royal shed every other month he had old shed on when i got him but has shed fine every time since , female has only had 2 shed with me but both great and the newest member is due soon i hope !!

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  22:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, bless him, he looks really sorry for himself.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000