fauns/RUB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  13:15:36  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
me again, sorry for all the questions but i have one more

what is best to keep a hatchling in. i have setup a large faunarium
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1894&ProductGroupID=947
is this ok for a hatchling or am i better of getting a RUB/plastic container from a shop.
i have a heat mat under it and have a stat and a thermometer and am guna go and buy loads of stuff to go in it next week but wabt to wait until i now for def what the hatchling is going in. it will be a 2010 hatchling by the way.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  13:45:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  13:45:46  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so the faunariun is fine until it grows out of that.
Also what substrate do you use. I have seen alot of people using some brown sort of substrate like eco earth or bark or something but not alot of people seem to be using aspen?

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 04/06/2010 13:47:39
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  14:20:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I used to use Aspen, have now moved onto Aubiose (a cheaper version of Aspen really).

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  14:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have raised all my hatchlings in that type of faun and usually move them on when they are about9 months old, I use aspen after the first few weeks, before that I use white kitchen paper towel until I know they are mite free.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  15:25:06  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert

before that I use white kitchen paper towel until I know they are mite free.

why is there a chance that when i buy one from donny they could have mites? what is the brown substrate used?

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 04/06/2010 15:25:20
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  15:57:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Any snake bought may have mites, especially I'd say one which was in a room with 10,000 other reptiles.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  16:01:59  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh ok, so check the royal over at donny as i don't really want to be bringing mites back to infest my other reptiles.

what is the brown substrate? and what is the ideal temp range 28-33?

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 04/06/2010 17:41:44
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  20:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Danny, it is always a good policy to isolate any snake you get in a seperate room as far away as possible from your established collection, you need to ensure that they don't have mites hence the paper towel so you can visually see any signs, as BE says any reptile exposed to others that may have them can also get them so caution is the keyword here, secondly they may not have mites but could have other diseases like RI (respiratory infections) and again you don't want any other snakes to get that either so keep any new animals away from your already healthy ones for a few weeks until you are absolutely sure they are infestation and infection free. Also you need to be scrupilously clean when handling, handle your established collection first, cleaning between snakes and then handle your new arrival last so as to reduce any transmission. As for the dark substrate I have no idea unless it's coco/orchid bark, in which case you need to check humidity, see the care sheet. I hope this helps you

Edited by - Robert on 04/06/2010 20:35:49
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  08:47:11  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thank you so much for your help, you have helped me alot. i have done loads of research but its always different hearing it from people that actually own the snake. plus alot of care sheets differ from each other contradicting themselves.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  20:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are very welcome Danny

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000