Royal Python - General Keeping information
 leaving food in viv
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  18:22:26  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hello guys and girls

when my royal is sue for a feet i generaly feed it at about 6ish after i get in from work but a few times recently he has refused but i think she might be refusing it cause he has moved on to a rat weaner so its a bit bigger but he has just shed, and he refused it.

now to my question i leave it in the tank sometimes but i only leave in the tank for a few hours i normaly take it out befor i go bed, i was wondering if it is ok to leave it in over night as thats when there active. also shoould ifeed him a bit later on like befor i got to bed.

thnx chris.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  18:28:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heaton177

when my royal is sue for a feet

Interesting

18:00 it may have been getting dark a while ago, now you may find that you need to feed around 21:00/22:00 to get the same conditions.

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  18:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blimey you need to change the batterys in your keyboard!

As long as you leave it on some kitchen paper or something off the subtrate it won't hurt.
Bare in mind with bigger feed they might go a little bit longer between feeds. Sabre goes around 9 days on big feeds. Also in shed they might not feed till after the shed is complete

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  18:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always feed around 10-11pm

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  22:05:16  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yup i never offer him food while he is going into shed i got a rat out ready to feed him n for some reason i got an urge to check to see if he was in shed n i looked n he was so i saved a rat :P but i offered him the rat last night and he shed the night before n i actualy sa him aswl , well he was doing it in his hide couldnt realy see much :)

quote:
Bare in mind with bigger feed they might go a little bit longer between feeds

yer i thought so cause when i last tried i wated until it was 10 days and he went straigt for it.

quote:
18:00 it may have been getting dark a while ago, now you may find that you need to feed around 21:00/22:00 to get the same conditions.

i will try that tomoro night ill let you no the out come.

quote:
Blimey you need to change the batterys in your keyboard!

i dont need a new keyboard i need to read after ive wrote :P and i dont know how it came out as that haha

thnx for the advice peeps, much appreciated :)

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  00:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i would agree with above try feeding a bit later. i feed mine any where from 10pm to 2am.
.try the later feed and see how that goes. you could also try offering the last size he was on. he may not be ready to move up to bigger prey. I would leave them in over night sometimes and remove in the morning if it has not been eaten. and then throw it in the bin.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  07:54:27  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he takes the rat weaners no problem, its only twice he done it and its like you have all said about it being dark at 6 well when he was feeding it was dark but no when i offer him after 7 days he shows interest for a bit and then just leaves it. and i will leave it in the viv over night not just a few hours. he is a good feeder he never ormaly misses a feed so he should take it :). but theres always a 1st for everything
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  09:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with all the above hatchlings can feed at anytime in the evening in my experience but the yearlings seem to prefer it later, as for leaving food in the viv I have tried this but it is rarely taken as my royals all prefer strike feeding so I usually try and re-heat and try again later.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  15:28:17  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i don't mean to be negative or anything, but surely if u leave the mouse/rat in the cage on some kitchen roll there is the chance that the snake will grab the prey item and drag it off the paper towel and onto the substrate and he/she may take some substrate in as you are not there to watch?

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  15:56:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is a chance, yes, I suppose it depends on the substrate used as to whether its a problem.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  16:01:41  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use aspen so...

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  16:32:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aspen should pass through the body easily even if not digestable.

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  17:47:00  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use aspen aswl. when i leave the food in the viv i put it ontop of the hide with its head towards the hole. thnx for all the advice ill let you no if he takes it later on tonite :)

1 more question. do you feed your snakes in the viv or do you use a seperte tub? cause i put mine in a rub and when hes ate it i take the lid off and he goes bk into his home :)
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  17:57:59  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i feed my corn outside so thouht it would be best to feed bullet out but BE sed it would be best for to start feeding in tank with bullet until he is used to me

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  18:04:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I feed all mine in their vivs.

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  20:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, there is no reason to feed out of the viv.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  22:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feed all in vivs. less stress for all

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  07:40:19  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im sure i heard on here that you try and feet them outside the vivmso they dont associate feeding with there viv,
im going to start feeding in the viv if its a stress reason not doing so. do you guys put stuf down on the substrate when your feeding him. or an precaustions i should take?

he ate his food alst night was about half 10. i offered him it nhe struck and left it but lay ontop of it n when i went to get it out again to re heat it was like he was defending it lol so i put him bk in his viv after a while and i left the rat ontop of his hide n when i peeped in he he had just finished eatingit and re alligned his jaw :)

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  08:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heaton177

im sure i heard on here that you try and feet them outside the vivmso they dont associate feeding with there viv,

It's quite commonly said but it's a total myth.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  08:58:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As Chris said, its a myth, especially with Royals.

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2010 :  15:57:06  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
rgr dodger ill start feeding him in his viv. thnx for ur help guys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000