In need of a rant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  18:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well earlier this week I just brought my new baby girl royal home and I am rather chuffed with her, however on looking in the quarantine rub this morning only to find black specks in the water dish so I get her out to take a look at her and yes they where mites so I have spent the whole day cleaning out everywhere.

My plan of attack will be two fold on these wee blighters the new royal will be getting the frontline treatment and the rest of the collection as a precautionary measure will be getting a dose of Hypoaspis mites thank goodness the others are not showing any signs as of yet fingers crossed. Also going to let the shop know where I picked her up to let them know they might have a mite problem before they get overrun

Feal better now

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  18:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe that was a very mild rant. If I was in your situation I think I'd be letting them know in uncertain terms that they do have a mite problem.

All the best though, thankfully I've not had to deal with mites yet (touch wood)

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  18:57:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, good luck.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  20:55:38  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would be expressing my dissapointment at the shop lol

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  21:28:17  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
best of luck didnt know u could use frontline on them ?

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  22:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have bought two home with mites and always told the seller, it's a real pain but as long as you keep the newly acquired from the rest of your collection at least you can minimise the damage, I keep mine in quarantine for at least 6 weeks before I move them into the same room, hypos do work just keep them going and they will clear the snake of mites, see the health section, email me if you need help.

Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  22:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert

hypos do work just keep them going and they will clear the snake of mites, see the health section, email me if you need help.

I have seen your post on Hyop mites I have sent you an email just to make sure I am buying the correct ones if you didn’t get it hear is the like can you tell me if that’s the beasties I need

http://www.defenders.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/47
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  09:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't receive your email but I have checked out the link and those are the ones you want. Hope all goes well with the treatment.

Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  20:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Round 1

I could not get frontline spray at the weekend so I popped round to a vet friend of mine who did not have any but said I could use the spot on as long as it was diluted to a very week solution

So I mixed up 0.2ml with 10ml water and used that for the moment. I have since ordered a spray off the net just in case the dilute spot on does not work

Fingers crossed now
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  18:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you dont have any luck a small tub of clean veg oil will kill everything on you Royal.
You need -
1 small plastic tub (little bit bigger than snake) + lid
enough oil to fully cover the snake and leaving a small air bubble ( snakes can hold their breath for an extremely long time so no need to worry )

put snake in for around 10 minutes ,the mites will all sufficate as the oil will completely coat them. when you remove your Royal from the oil put it in a pillow case filled with 1 shredded news paper this will take the excess oil off.

Meanwhile completely fumigate the viv and all hides with your spray, leave it closed for a good 20 minutes.

Apparently snake mites do travel up to 8-10 feet from the viv and their eggs can become airborn so its a good idea to keep your snake in another part of the house for a few weeks to make sure any remaining mites and their eggs have died.

My first Royal was completely infested when i got her and with this method doing it only once i cleared her completely. The nice side is that you arent using any chemicals on your snake.

Good luck.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  19:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update dead mites found in hide so i think its working gave the snake another rub down with another dose of frontline so i hope they all DIE little criters DIE looks like round 1 goes to me. I will keep you all posted on the progress of the war
Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  16:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Round 2 update

Only 4 dead mites found to day in the whole rub and they where really small so I am going to assume all adults are dead and its only juveniles and larvae to contend with now
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  17:48:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Getting there then

Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  19:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Round 3 update

looks like I am on the home stretch now as not a single mite found anywhere in the rub
Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  19:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Chop

Round 3 update

looks like I am on the home stretch now as not a single mite found anywhere in the rub

Good stuff.

Did you let the shop know about the mites?

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  19:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes had a chat with them
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic