Exploding glass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  21:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weirdest thing just happened to me just opened up and removed the glass of the viv of my royal male to clean out the water dish and the glass panel just exploded in my hands

Has any one else had this happen

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  21:58:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, ouch, what are you going to do with him tonight with no door?

Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just cut him a replacement out of some thin MDF for the night
Go to Top of Page

Vincent
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  11:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's quite common with thougen glasss if you knock the corner of the glass it will explode as this is what its designed to do.Lucky really it wasnt oneiled as you would have cut yourself really bad.
Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  12:33:30  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I work with glass and as vincent said its very common, u only have to slighty knock toughened glass and it will explode in to a million pieces, Its a safety feature of it thats why its law to have it in doors, conservatory roofs ect.. and yeah ur lucky, normal float (anealed) smashes into sharp shards, from experience, it hurts alot! lol the only other glass option u could go for is laminated glass, this has a coting on it, so if it smashes it will still stay in one piece.

The toughened smashing would doubtfully have anythin to do with the heat in the viv so i would put it down to it being nocked or maybe already having a chip in which weaked it, which if any pressure is applied it will almost certainly explode. sorry for the long winded explanation, its not often i get to explain my only expertise PMSL!

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  13:07:49  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiestastlou

I work with glass and as vincent said its very common, u only have to slighty knock toughened glass and it will explode in to a million pieces, Its a safety feature of it thats why its law to have it in doors, conservatory roofs ect.. and yeah ur lucky, normal float (anealed) smashes into sharp shards, from experience, it hurts alot! lol the only other glass option u could go for is laminated glass, this has a coting on it, so if it smashes it will still stay in one piece.

The toughened smashing would doubtfully have anythin to do with the heat in the viv so i would put it down to it being nocked or maybe already having a chip in which weaked it, which if any pressure is applied it will almost certainly explode. sorry for the long winded explanation, its not often i get to explain my only expertise PMSL!

lol, i had to laugh at that lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  15:46:15  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
at aleast u got ur glass in i smashed mine new glass trying to fit it !! but glad ur ok .

Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  19:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The glass didnt hit anything it jsut shatterd as it was held in mid air thats the odd bit I was left holding just wee bits in my hands
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  20:41:21  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bet u nearly wee ur self ?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000