New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

naz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok i would like a female spider royal next year as this season gone, My only question is about the head wobble i have seen vids of it and it looks horrible, Does any one know why they have it and also can it be treated if they have it. One vid i saw looked like it was flipping right over , What damage does this do to the snake?. I was wanting a bumble bee so was thinking of trying to bred my own in a few years but does that mean the head wobble goes into the bee, Thanks in advance for any help

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:26:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No it can't be treated and yes it would in any morph that contains the Spider gene. This is the sole reason I don't and won't have any in my collection.

They are known to be good feeders and breeders though.

Go to Top of Page

naz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any other way of breeding a bee with out using a spider ?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  12:29:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, but you could make a Lemon Blast which is Pinstripe and Pastel rather than Spider and Pastel and I think they're even nicer.

Go to Top of Page

naz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  12:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds nice maybe go for that then, i just panick to much about me animals, i took my first royal to the vet as he keept opening his mouth alot turns out he was just yawning lol

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  13:12:58  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by naz

sounds nice maybe go for that then, i just panick to much about me animals, i took my first royal to the vet as he keept opening his mouth alot turns out he was just yawning lol

ah bless ya but better safe than sorry

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  20:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a spider male and he only wobbled his head at feeding time and has grown out of that and is fine at all other times

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  03:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a spider that fathered 2 bees. My spider doesn't do that corkscrewing thing. Yes, all spiders have a wobble but MOST spiders do not manifest it noticeably. For example, my spider manifests his wobble ONLY when in strike mode - that is, when staring down a rat. His head vibrates very slightly just like the "shakes" in the movie Johnny Mnemonic right before the strike-coil movement. This "shake" is not present in any of my other snakes.

The 2 bees he produced show no wobbles at all.

Most spiders show their wobble through nothing but an inaccurate strike or nothing but a "cute puppy" cockeyed pose when periscoping. The amount of wobble does not pass through breeding. A corkscrewy spider can produce an inaccurate striker and vice versa.

Spiders are notoriously excellent eaters. My spider eats consistently every 7 days except for the time we had humidity issues in his tank.

So, for me, if I had to choose between my finicky-eating pastel and my spider, I'll take the spider any day.

Spiders are definitely one of my favorite morphs.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  08:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Valhalla, my normal, has a tendancy to shake her head from left to right really fast when she's being introduced to a mouse, like she's saying "Nooooo!" Any chance she's het for spider or would the chaps at the store have tested for it when they rescued her from previous owner?

She might just be a little bit weird :P

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  13:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Valhalla, my normal, has a tendancy to shake her head from left to right really fast when she's being introduced to a mouse, like she's saying "Nooooo!" Any chance she's het for spider or would the chaps at the store have tested for it when they rescued her from previous owner?

She might just be a little bit weird :P

There's no such thing as het for spider. Spider gene is dominant - you only need one parent to pass the gene to have a spider, So, it's either a spider or it''s not.

Wobbles aren't exclusive to spiders. Any other morph can have a wobble. The difference is, not all ____ morph has a wobble while all spiders have a wobble. Make sense?

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  13:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh awesome, I was a bit worried for a bit xP

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000