Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

python23
Yearling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  18:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello all
As my snake collection seems to be slowly expanding im in need of creating space instead of having vivs here there and every where. There are hundreds of videos on youtube of peoples racks and they look great but i dont know where to start. Can anyone advise me on where to get a cheap enough shelving rack, ikea? staples? etc and also, how are people heating these racks? i cant seem to find shelves that are low enough for tubs or wide enough

02 Corn (female)
03 Amel corn (male)
03 Amel corn (female)
03 Royal reduced pattern (male)
05 Royal normal (male)
09 Het Pied (male)
10 Royal normal (female)
10 Het Pied (Female)

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  20:24:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Make your own, buy melanine board from B&Q, heat cable from ebay and have fun

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  21:56:14  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how and wat sort of sizes would be good for snakes both ends of the size scale ,

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  22:06:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm building one soon, will post step by step guide

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  22:19:11  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice 1 i have 7 viv with a floor space of 20 ft so need to sort things out lol

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:45:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4438

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  22:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres a good link, i`ve used it and made a rack system and im very happy with it. I used MDF though instead of melamine as its cheaper and should retain the heat better. will add pictures in the next day or 2 as im a little busy at present.
http://www.cbreps.co.uk/Racks.php

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 17/09/2010 22:11:09
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  22:37:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one Mike.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  09:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres the picture of my homemade rack system.

There was one small problem that i found and that was with this part of the build.

On Chris`s site it says "We position the temperature sensor on the middle shelf, imediately in front of the heat strip with duck tape so it can easily be repositioned if needs be"
My problem was that the thermostat when laid on the board is higher than the D shape moulding which doesn`t help keep it secure when your moving the rubs in and out, even if stuck down it will eventually move altering the temperature so i used 2 D shaded mouldings stuck together.

Anyway the long shot of it all is that i only wish i`d known about rack systems before, because however nice a good viv looks to us, on a practical point for snakey a rub with paper in a dark enclosure is much more logical/hygenic, easier and quicker to clean.
Also if you need to extend it you can do this very simply with 2 more sides, self and top ( you dont need the bottom piece).

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

python23
Yearling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  12:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hodgie that's a nice little rack you've got there, Like you, I like a nice viv and I have two of my male royals in a big 5foot viv but they're just not practical as a rack, as long as the snakes tub is big enough then they are just as good as a viv in my opinion. Unfortunatly ive not got the time to build my own like yours so I have just built a shelving rack from Argos 5 shelves 1meter wide which I think is perfect for an adult royal, I'm stress free at last.

02 Corn (female)
03 Amel corn (male)
03 Amel corn (female)
05 Royal normal (male)
09 Het Pied (male)
10 Royal normal (female)
10 Het Pied (Female)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  13:45:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.jnb-boas.co.uk/page23.htm

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  20:27:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just in case anyone's interested:

Tesco are doing plastic shoe boxes, buy one, get one free at the moment, £2

Go to Top of Page

python23
Yearling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  09:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got 4 last week mate In preparation for donny show

02 Corn (female)
03 Amel corn (male)
03 Amel corn (female)
05 Royal normal (male)
09 Het Pied (male)
10 Royal normal (female)
10 Het Pied (Female)

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  11:46:47  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what are the lids like on yours? i went to tesco last night, and they were rubbish lids, easily able to be pushed of by a royal, so didn't get any

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  12:02:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They are going to go into a lidless rack so I ditched the lids, sorry. They'd probably need an elastic band around them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000