Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  16:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and bare in mind that ceramic heaters work fine, but make sure they're guarded and that they reduce humidity much more quickly than bulbs.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  20:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye m8 I'll be taking any adjustments slowly. Ive been looking up about the humidity and cant say im any further forward. Ive read just to put in some moss (spagnum i think it said) and others say mist the viv twice a week then others say only lightly mist when she starts to shed. Like I say, too much conflicting info out there, I'll be trawling through any threads on here i can find tonight to get up to scratch with it all before saturday

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  20:58:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't do anything to my vivs at all, room humidity and a large water bowl is fine for mine.

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  22:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it, thats what I mean about everywhere you go online tells you something different you dont know what to believe. If thats how you do it B.E I'll leave it at that, hopefully that'll work for me

Cheers m8

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  23:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I don't do anything to my vivs at all, room humidity and a large water bowl is fine for mine.

With exception of my BRB i'm the same

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The humidity should be around 50% under normal circumstances, as others have said, thats about normal humidity in the UK at ambient temperatures, so you shouldn't need to add any moisture on a day to day basis. I use a normal size water dish placed in the hot side of the viv, this keeps the humidity around 55% (50-55% is fine). If the hunidity gets too much doing this in your viv, move the water dish to the cool side and wait to see what the humidity does over a day or so, if it drops too low, move the dish into the middle - half hot, half cold and see what happens.

The only time you really need to be upping the humidity is when the snake is in a shed cycle, after blueing. The snake may appreciate a humidity of 60% or even more at this time. To achieve this use either sphagnum (sp!) moss in a damp hide or mist with a spray once a day. Damp moss in a sealed tupperware container that has had holes punched in the lid is another option.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool cheers Roly

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  03:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does seem like there's conflicting info out there. When I was new to royals, it used to get me so confused. But I realized after a while that a lot of the differences are regional - different normal room environment (e.g. High room humidity in UK or Seattle compared to Florida, etc.) - or "personalization" (e.g. tubs versus display cages), or each royal's unique preference (e.g. Rat versus mouse), etc.

What I found out is that there are "general" guidelines to caring for royals that are sure-fire success - temperature, humidity, security, and prey item. The rest is up to your personal preference, the laws and availability of resources in your area, and the unique qualities of your particular royal. It is, after all, what makes this hobby so fun - the chance to personally get to know your royal!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 26/09/2010 03:29:08
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  13:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is it working out Nok?

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  15:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like its doing well m8. I got it to the following

Warm hide inside - 29.4C (85F)
Warm hide outside - 31-33C (88-91F)
Cool hide inside - 23.6 (74F)
Cool hide outside - 25C (77F)
and the air temp seems fine

and its pretty much stayed that way since Monday, just very small variations usually 0.1-0.5C either side. I think the cool hide is a bit low for what Ive read but with the basking spot on top of her warm hide at 31-33C I didnt want to raise the temp any more than it is plus she seems to prefer the cool side so not sure whether to even attempt raising it or not. Im putting an energy saving bulb in which should help raise the temps on the cold side, they dont give off much heat so shouldnt raise temps too much I'll put it in a 3rd from the cool side so should help with temps but not too much.

Do you think these temps are close to what they should be? Ive not got a hygrometer yet (just waiting for delivery) so not sure of the humidity but Ive got the water bowl half on half off the heat mat so hoping its fine

Edited by - nok1888 on 29/09/2010 15:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  19:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i'm no expert believe me, but those temps seem fine to me. I wouldn't raise either temp any more, especially if the snake seems to prefer the cooler side. Mine does too, only comes across to the hot side to bask in the morning and maybe in the evening. As long as the snake has the option to hide in the hot side at around 30-33 degrees then it has the option and will take it if required, assuming it isn't cowering in the cool side scared to move (which I doubt from what you've said) then leave it be. If it spent all its time in the hot side, I would consider raising the temps, but it aint, so don't. As long as its eating well and shedding well, you can be sure its happy with its environment. Time will tell, but I wouldn't change anything you've done to be honest.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  00:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool cheers m8. Shes in her cool hide with her head and about 3" of her neck outside looking ready to strike, to be honest I think the 2 large mice aint enough for her. but if she's lying with her head out she cant feel threatened I dont think

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  08:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds fine to me, only consider upping the temps now if there's a sea change in her behaviour like switching to the hot side for most of the time. With the feeding, best get an expert opinion but it seems to me that some snakes can be greedy (don't forget they're opportunist hunters). Mine would eat whatever you put in front of it and if that meant 7 days a week, it would. Reallly it would. So follow the recommended guidelines for feeding a snake of her age/size and no more because the last thing you want is an obese snake.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  12:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll up her to the weener rats and a mouse (if she takes it). The weeners arent too much bigger than the large mice more in length than girth as Im sure you'll know. Once she's settled I'll be handling regularly to give her exercise so should work off her food

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000