New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  01:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally after a long wait Orlina's finally here and she's absolutely stunning!!!

She was a bit cold with travelling so far so the wife got a warm towel on the floor and folded the corner up to give her a bit of a warm hide and I put both her hides on the towel so she had a choice so she wouldnt get stressed but no, she was SO inquisitive you'd think she's been here for ages. Totally checking everything out very relaxed never pulled her head back whenever anything moved in front of her now she's climbing over the viv looking at me lol

Only thing Im wondering is, they told me she was 2 and a half years old. I gave her a quick weigh when she came and was about 850grams, when I looked at the graph on here 850gms would make her half the weight she should be OR she's actually about 14 months but Im not sure what length Royals should be at what age. She doesnt seem underweight, skin doesnt seem loose maybe just a little when resting but tightens when she moves. Her head seems in proportion for her girth, she's about 2.5ft and 900gms from this can someone tell me if she's younger than 2.5 or underweight for her length? any rough guess would be great. I'll get her proper lenth next time shes out and I'll get photos taken

Cheers
Im staying up tonight to keep an eye on her temps, Ive got thermometer with a probe in her hot hide and one in her cool hide and they gave me a laser temp gun (ceramic bulb has settled at 175C! Mental see the need for a guard now lol!! Ive been checking surface temps and the hot side were 34C so turned stat down a bit)

Forgot to say, she came with a normal mat stat for mat (obviously), and the ceramic came with a dimmer stat is this ok? I know people usually say PP with ceramic but is a dimmer ok or will I need to change it?

Cheers

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Edited by - nok1888 on 27/09/2010 02:14:38

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  03:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, temperatures have settled at (Ive been checking regularly over the last 4 hours)-

Bask temp (on top of warm hide) - 31-33C (88-91F)
Warm hide - 29.4C (85F)

Bask temp (on top of cool hide) - 25C (77F)
Cool hide - 23.6C (74F)

I know cool hide should be a little higher but she seems (so far) to prefer the cool side, besides that I dont know how to raise the cool side without changing the temps on the hot side. Over the next couple of days it will all settle a bit more its still v.early days

Does this all sound about right?

Edited by - nok1888 on 27/09/2010 03:41:23
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  07:36:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A dimmer stat is fine (if not better than an PP).

850-900g I'd say was nothing to worry about if 2.5 years old, a bit light, but some are smaller than others naturally. Is she feeding on rats?

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  12:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They said she was feeding on rats but stopped so went back to 2 large mice and she took them. Im going to keep her on mice for the next few feeds untill she settles in proper then try get her on rats see if she takes them again. I heard that she should be on rats thats got the same girth as her, that would be good to see she's got a right wee head, I know they can but would be interesting to see.

Checked all the temps I posted above and they are all exact same as they were so I'm well pleased

Edited by - nok1888 on 27/09/2010 13:05:43
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  13:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congratulations :D

Goodluck with the rat conversion, I'm trying to get Valhalla onto them over the next few weeks as well :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000