Royal Python - General Keeping information
 feet first feeder!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  13:28:54  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya,
Ive had florence for just over a month and she is a good hungry feeder but always takes the mouse feet first. Sometimes they get stuck and she drops them and starts again but she never learns!

Any ideas???

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  13:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry, mine quite often takes them tail first and although he has to work a little harder, always manages to get it down. If yours drops it but tries again, don't worry, just check there isn't any substrate on the prey. As to whether they learn or not, couldn't tell you, but mine hasn't and no harm has been done.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  13:51:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Is she a strike feeder?

Do you heat the head to help her aim?

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  14:01:54  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried strike feeding but she missed and then struck into mid air directing her aim at the light, thankfully i have a guard on it. Sinse then she has just taken it from a piece of board that i put in so she doesnt pick up any substrate. I wondered if i should warm up the head end, maybe i will try that next week.
Thanks for your help.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  14:50:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If the mouse/rat isn't warmed that may be the problem (not so bad with small mouse legs, but an issue with adult rat legs!), she may have strucky towards the light as it was hot and they use heat as much as scent and sight to aim. Hence all the heat pits along the mouth.

I usually heat the heads of mine with a hair dryer for 20-30 secs before offering.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  14:53:34  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats what i thought as she really flew at the light, heat pits took over in the frenzy!
I'm about to put her onto jumbo mice then weaner rats so will invest in a hair dryer!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  18:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Shahi is probably about 6 months old - after a slow start an enthusiastic feeder - I too warmed the mouse and especially its nose and offered it nose first on tongs ... he would strike fast, coil ... and then manage to turn it round and eat it feet first! D'oh!

But recently, despite my no longer bothering to warm the nose specially, he's started to eat it nose first all by himself.

They are awkward little gits!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000