Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Think my python is starting the shedding process?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chrism3evo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  23:31:21  Show Profile  Click to see Chrism3evo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Pythons (Monty) eyes have got a sort of silver colour. I think he is starting the shedding process? If so what should I be doing and not doing?

Any help or advice very welcome as this is my first snake and its fist shed since I got it. It is about three months old if that is any help.

Thanks again.

Chrism3evo

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  00:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, he certainly is! Welcome to the house of fun!

There are lots of good posts on here about shedding, humidity, etc.

(In fact there's a marvellous one just posted over on general topics called 'Are you sitting comfortably' ... (Shurrup, Bats!)

No, seriously, I too am juggling with humidity, right conditions etc; a lot of us are. Hope your lad gets his kit off in one piece, but there's loads of info here, including the sticky on bathing, if skin's retained. There will also be plenty of people to help with questions.

From my own experience, I would say, as have other people, the eyecaps and tailtip are the most important bits to watch out for. (I've only had my lad long enough for him to shed 3 times, but I've had corns for a year and they do seem to have an easier time of it.) Some snakes need a damp hide, but, as I've been told, some need it in the viv all the time, which is what I'm trying right now myself.

As I say, do hope your lad has no problems, and there will be more experienced people than myself along soon.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  05:39:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
By the time the eyes are cloudy there is not really much you can do. His eyes will clear again in a few days and then 3-7 days after that he will shed. Fingers crossed for you.

Go to Top of Page

Chrism3evo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  16:56:52  Show Profile  Click to see Chrism3evo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info so far guys. Sgould I stop the feeding while this is happening or keep feeding?

Thanks again

Chrism3evo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Some will feed, some won't. Some royal owners advocate delaying feeding until after the shed in case the belly bulge hinders the shed. It's a commonsense thing really, I think. If the snake is only just going into shed but is alert and in 'where's me rat?' mode, I personally would try him. If he's in deep blue, or cleared after the blue, and on the brink of shedding, it's not the end of the world to delay his feed for a few days - he won't starve; he probably won't even notice.

All the best.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000