Electric off for 8hrs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lettsy1
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  17:53:22  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi guys just need some advice please, the electric on our estate is being switched off for 8hrs in the day next week, will my little reptilian babies be ok for that amount of time? or any suggestions welcomed!!

1.1.0 Royal (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  18:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What we all dread! If snakes cool down they will brumate and close down entirely; becoming torpid and comatose, which is a natural response to cool conditions. As far as I'm aware, this isn't too bad in the short-term ie a few hours (although none of us would want them to undergo it.) But if they've fed it could seriously interfere with digestion and even cause a regurge,so I'd delay feeding day until after the power cut.

If you have gas - a gas fire, a gas stove, you could make sure you've got a few hot water bottles, filled and well wrapped up and monitored as for temps? And keep snakes in a room with gas fire on full, even if they have to spend the time in smaller rubs or similar? All this is just off the top of my head - other people may have better ideas! Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Lettsy1
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  18:15:45  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good idea B.A.T.S but dont have a gas fire but do have a woodburner, prob is im at work all day, literally from 8am until nearly 6, dont really want to leave the fire going all that time as will cook my dog! so worried about this, there isnt even anyone i can ask to have them either. (well apart from my neighbour n he is in the same situation) Will delay the feeding of the little ones, sheba hasnt fed for the last month so not worried about the food side of it for her or my hoggie. but its just the drop in temps that im concerned about.

1.1.0 Royal (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  18:41:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hot water bottles, but yes, they should be fine if they haven't fed.

Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  13:49:21  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was in a similar situation a few weeks ago, elecy was off from 8.30am til 4.30pm, luckily my room gets very very warm so blasted the heatin up during the night and kept all the doors shut to keep the warmth in, and luckily it was a thursday so they had time to digest their sunday lunches, but they where fine :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000