Newbie question ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  22:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, we've just bought our first royal python () but won't get her home until christmas (she was too nice to miss out on but it's a present for my son)! We're all really excited, nut it does mean we have plenty of time to get her house ready.

Anyway, I've been reading through this forum non-stop, picking up all the advice, hints and tips. I think I've got it all sussed apart from two things so here goes.

1 - I've decided to make my own viv, I've got the wood sorted (I work in the largest wood panel factory in the UK), the runners and stuff can be found on ebay for just a few quid. Is there anything special about the sliding glass doors? Can I buy them specially or just go to a local glass place and have them cut 2 pieces for me? (safety glass with smoothed edges of course)

2 - Do royals need to be kept slightly cooler at night? Should I get a normal dimmer stat or a day/night dimmer stat with a night eye?

Thanks in advance.

Grunt

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  23:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the glass although I remember reading a thread on this forum about somebodies glass smashing into a thousand small pieces so perhaps it has to be that special stuff?

As for the temperature I turn mine down a little at night to better simulate cooling at night but I know some people leave the temperature the same I don't think there is any negative effect to leaving the temp stable but a more experience guru will be with you shortly I'm sure :)

Sounds like you know what you're doing with the viv and should be a great present :D wish you all luck

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  00:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i leave mine the same temp day and night

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  07:11:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have mine at the same temp 24/7 and have bought glass from the local glazier.

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  08:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Do royals need to be kept slightly cooler at night?"

The answer is probably do they need to be cooler at night? No, Can you let them get cooler at night? Yes.

I and many others allow the temp to drop a few degrees at night, because after all, thats what it does at night, wherever you are in the world. However, going by advice and experience of others on this forum, it is not necessary as they will happily tolerate a constant temperature. Whatever your chosen method, work the heat sources off a thermo/dimmer stat.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:58:45  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As for the glass you will need "toughened glass with polished edges all round" this is the stuff that goes into a million pieces, id recomend this over normal float glass because if this smashes it goes into large VERY sharp shears! go direct to a glass/sealed unit manufactuer tho cos if u go thru glaziers they will normally put a few bob on, it shouldnt cost u anymore than £20 tho! where abouts are u based? i would say if u where near me i could supply it for u :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  11:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used 6mm acrylic sheet. Cheap, stong and flexible :-)

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  17:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm finding all this very useful; despite once building a hen run, hen hut and gates, I've never ventured to build my own viv. Yet!

However, about temps. I think someone on here pointed out that the cool end of the viv will drop in temp anyway at night (unless you keep your central heating on full blast 24/7 in winter.) So you would probably get lower night time temps without having to worry about arranging for them.

Best of luck, Grunt, with your royal and viv-building!

Go to Top of Page

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  21:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies, lots to think about.

Fiestastlou - We live near Wrecsam ... any good?

Oh, about the viv building, I've managed to get enough board for 3 (three) 36"x18"x18" vivs and a 36"x36"x18" cupboard for one of them to sit on for less than £25. Bargain.

Grunt

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  21:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, good luck with the building.

One small point that you probably know already: unless the board is melamine or whatever they call it nowadays; if it's proper wood it will need sealing with several coats of yacht varnish, and thorough airing to get rid of all trace of fumes before the snake's occupation. Sorry if this is superfluous advice!

Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  10:22:00  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry thats abit far :( but google glass manufactuers or sealed unit manufacturers in ur area and something should come up :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers BATS, it is melamine faced so should be ok I hope.

And cheers to you Fiestastlou, I'll check them out.

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  05:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! Great that you're building a viv! That would be really cool. Yeah, I'd suggest the acrylic (plexiglass or similar) too. I use one.

No need to worry about the night-time drop in temps. It is not necessary. Yes, in the natural environment, the ambient temperatures get cooler when the sun goes down but the royals can seek out warm ground temps at night if they need to. In our vivs, the temps are limited to what we provide, therefore, if the royal gets too cold at night, it has no other option but to wait until morning when the heat lamps go on again. I use a UTH to provide belly temps, so I always have the UTH at a steady temperature with the house A/C providing ambient temps except during winter when I supplement with a heat lamp to keep ambient temps at 80. I turn off the heat lamp at night but leave the UTH on so that belly temps are always at 90F in the hot hide.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: