Saada Settles In
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  17:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it was bound to happen. After one or two false starts, her name came to me. Saada. Which is Arabic for 'happiness'. And when that happens, in my experience, the creature very often appears. And here she is.

She is an 18 month old normal whose owner was selling her with set up because he is moving into student accommodation where he is not allowed to keep her. A comprehensive set-up - guarded infra red bulb, dimmer stat, hides and lots of branches and plants. Saada was curled up in a hide, so we put her on top of the viv while we went through the formalities. (When did she last eat, shed, does she strike feed etc.)

Very soon she emerged, tongue flicking, and curled round my wrist as I looked her over, as if she'd known me already. I had brought a rub to transport her in, with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (the day has been cold.) I took the hot water bottle out but placed it next to the rub while travelling home, and then sat rub and bottle on the bed while I put together her set-up in the spare room. With the addition of yesterday's T shirt, rolled up, so that she can get used to my scent.lol! While I was doing this she prowled her rub impatiently, like a hotel guest eager to check in.

Saada: 'Boring in here, Lil!'

Shahi (whose viv is in my bedroom): 'That's right, let her know who's boss!'

Lil: 'Button your lip, Shahi and stop teaching her bad habits!'

Presently Saada's viv was ready and out she came, calm as you like, not in the least defensive or afraid, and rested in my hands for a moment before selecting her cool hide and gliding in. I'll give her a week before feeding and only go in there to check temps (use a temp gun rather than thermometers)and change her water.

She's lovely!

Edited by - n/a on 06/11/2010 18:18:02

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  18:32:33  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another royal.............I'm jealous! Hope she settles in well.

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  19:13:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  19:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  21:21:05  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congrats :D sounds like she's happy :D

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  21:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kelfezond, I hope she will be.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:52:39  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well we look forward to pics of this new girl, she sounds like a right old sweetheart. congrats

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  13:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - but me and Photobucket are still at daggers drawn, as well as the fact that I've got to find some alternative way of uploading pics on to my computer ... one of these days ...

I was considering buying a decent computer friendly camera - but I bought a snake instead! (Got my priorities right!)

She came out last night but looked a little startled at the sight of me, so I left her to it. Today she's well hidden, but at least it's not all strange for her with having her original viv, hides etc, and I've hung a towel over her cool end so as to make her feel extra secluded. Still can't believe I've got her!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2010 :  15:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's just fed!

I'm so pleased, and I think I must be extremely lucky!

I hadn't seen her for a week; she hid, but that's what royals do, and apart from checking temps and water changing (and glancing in at her window every hour) I'd left her. I said hello to her last night; for a moment she hid her head but then she perked up and started tongue-flicking. I held her for a moment while I repositioned her hide, and she was very calm and laid back.

So, today, the first rat. I was prepared for a fail; although she's got her own viv and her own things, it's still a big change for her, moving home.

Her previous owner had told me that he cut the tail off the rat. I confess I was reluctant to do this as the cut end might attract her to start at the back end. I put down a large piece of card as 'tablecloth' and waggled the rat on the tongs at first, although I knew she normally has her rat left in the viv with her. I wanted to see if she might strike; she didn't, but it got her tongue-flicking and looking interested. Also the tongs are more impersonal than a large strange smelly hand coming at her.

When the rat was left with her she immediately showed interest, nuzzling round it. By now I was sitting at a respectful distance with a towel over the viv so that I had to peer in at an angle, hoping she didn't know I was watching.

She started on the tail. Well, so did Shahi the other day, and he was fine. But not Saada. She chewed and chewed and spat it out. When it looked as if she'd given up, I removed the rat, cut off the tail, rewarmed it and returned it to her. She was straight back on to it, and this time she gripped the rat by the haunches ...no. Then she nuzzled about a bit more; then she grabbed the back feet and tried to get those down ... and spat them out and lay back, looking as if she'd given up.

Oh well, not bad for a first attempt. However, I thought I'd rewarm the rat - again - and also put her in a feeding box in the viv with it, as I wasn't happy about the way she was dragging it through the substrate. She might take it, she might not.

So I interrupted her - again. I lifted her towel, and, just as I was about to slide the door back, she saw me, gave me a look - and grabbed the rat by the nose and swallowed it straight down!

That's snakes for you. They never cease to amaze me!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000