Some Python help :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  01:26:57  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well thinking of getting a Python (my first one from a corn snake) and just wondered if people could give me some advice on what one to get, don't want one that grows huge as I don't have the room for a huge viv.
Also whats the situation with spraying them with water to keep there viv humid?
And having to have a light in there too?
Are those things NEEDED or just something some people do.
Any help would be good as I'm still very unsure if to get one or not.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  02:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I and every one probably on here, will say get a Royal. The largest was measured at 6.5 ft but usually 4-5ft i think others will give you a better idea and quite chunky, someone I was talking to had one at 5kg would of loved to have seen it. They have excellent temprements, very friendly.

My set up is a 3ft viv, ceramic bulb with guard, 1 hot hide, 1 cold hide, water bowl big enough for the snake to soak its self and I have a big branch and some plastic leaves with branches. Im sure you'll know all that with having corns. Usually the viv size should be 2/3 the length of the snake long and 1/3 the length deep so 3ft snake should be 2ft x 1ft (so ive read)

They dont need artificial light but some people use infra red bulb (which im swithing to) to see them better when they are out.
Humidity is usually fine, except mine it seems lol, at 50-55% which is normal for uk. I spray my viv because humidity is low 30-35% but if your using aspen make sure its fully dry before spraying it again.

Royals are amazing but then again ive never had another kind to compare it with. Definately recomend

P.s if this is right.........WOOOOOO HAAAAA IVE LEARNED SOMETHING lol

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  07:47:41  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nok1888

Well I and every one probably on here, will say get a Royal. The largest was measured at 6.5 ft but usually 4-5ft i think others will give you a better idea and quite chunky, someone I was talking to had one at 5kg would of loved to have seen it. They have excellent temprements, very friendly.

My set up is a 3ft viv, ceramic bulb with guard, 1 hot hide, 1 cold hide, water bowl big enough for the snake to soak its self and I have a big branch and some plastic leaves with branches. Im sure you'll know all that with having corns. Usually the viv size should be 2/3 the length of the snake long and 1/3 the length deep so 3ft snake should be 2ft x 1ft (so ive read)

They dont need artificial light but some people use infra red bulb (which im swithing to) to see them better when they are out.
Humidity is usually fine, except mine it seems lol, at 50-55% which is normal for uk. I spray my viv because humidity is low 30-35% but if your using aspen make sure its fully dry before spraying it again.

Royals are amazing but then again ive never had another kind to compare it with. Definately recomend

P.s if this is right.........WOOOOOO HAAAAA IVE LEARNED SOMETHING lol

ye its about right lol
a royal is a very good choice, they do not get huge for python, big enough without having a huge snake
they only need a 3ft cage when they are an adult. this is because in the wild they live in small rabbit burrows and tend to stay in small compact spaces so they do better in 3ft vivs. they are very easy to care for, apart from there reputation of beeing fussy eaters. i have found that they are only fussy because of reasons, there setups isn't right, the weather (they tend to go off there food in the winter becasue its getting cold) etc
they do not need any more humidoty than what is in the air around us. sometimes if you get a royal that has a shedding problem, then sometimes a moist hide is placed just to help soften the skin for them to make ot easier to shed.
they do not need any lighting, u can put lights in, to light up the viv, but wouldn't put uvb lights in as they annoy the snakes (think thats right) if u wanted some light you could use a ri bulb (think its called that) that heats the cage like every other bulb but gives off some light so you can see your snake, but if you didn't want any light then you could just use a ceramic bulb,off course all these bulbs need a guard over them.
if you plan to get a baby royal, then it would need to go in a rub, or a small faunarium, as not to give them a huge amount of space, as they prefer it small. then as they grow you can upgrade them to a bigger rub and then eventually into a viv. they are easy to take care of and are a very loving snake, likeing being handled.
the only problem with royals is that once youve got one, you want another, and then another, and then maybe another. i started with one and ended up getting another within 6 months, and i am not allowed to get any more until i leave home (im only 15 so...) but already have plans to buy 4 snakes as soon as i leave home, but i may be able to get one more in a couple of year off a very good friend
if you have any more questions, feel free to ask, well answer anything, there is no such thing as a stupid question
and good luck getting a royal, u will not regret it

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  09:14:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've never once sprayed a Royal viv and no you don't 'need' a light.

Carpets are also a good small Python.

Go to Top of Page

Brett1980
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  10:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well iv only had my royal for 3 wks now and i love her to bits, there very placid relaxed snakes and even when they get a bit freaked and make the S pose it seems they will not strike or bite. I dont think i can add any more advice other than what has been said, other than if you do get a hatchling dont waste your money on a small faunarium, they simply wont keep the heat properly, i wasted a lot of money and time trying to get one up to temp only to give up when i got her and swiched to a smaller aquarium viv that came at the right price at the right time (using lots of poly to insulate) i have heard and would imagine from the countless number of people using them that a simple rub will do better and be cheaper, i currently use an IR bulb on a simple on off stat, this seems to do the job perfectly well but will be switching to a dimmer stat for better temp control in the near future. depending on what size you feel comfortable with the males do tend to be a bit smaller.

Only thing i will say is, although they do come out and roam around climbing and in meds case seeming like she wants to come out, they do spend a lot of there time out of site in the hides (like many smakes i imagine). some people dont realise this and may make the wrong choice then be dissapointed that there not out and vissible all the time.

As Blackecho said carpets are another nice python although (pls correct me if im wrong) they do require higher humiditys and regular misting (not so much of a problem and auto misters are available). If you want something smaller a childs or spotted python is another option, although these seem a little harder to get hold of and have a snappy reputation when they are young.

my personal opininion is that you cant go far wrong with a royal python :D

0.1.0 royal python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  11:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as everyone has said - can't add much to that, except (forgive me if anyone else has pointed this out) that if you plan to keep your royal in a viv, infra-red lighting is a preferable form of heating to the usual heat mat. It can be left on 24/7 as snakes cannot 'see' red light and won't be stressed as they would be by white light. A dimmer stat's needed, and the bulb does need a guard because the snake will try to crawl on to it otherwise and burn itself.

This is because adult royals are, unlike corns and hatchling royals, a very heavy bodied snake, and the volume of snake on mat causes something called thermal blocking - in other words, even with a stat, there is danger of equipment malfunctioning and the mat overheating and causing burns to the snake. The snake won't realise it's being burned; a royal's prime heat sense is the 'heat pits' below its nostrils, which it uses to locate prey.

EDIT - sorry anyone who's read this and noticed the omission - I should have said that heat mats are fine beneath rubs as the tiny space between mat and rub floor prevents thermal blocking. Hope I'm accurate enough about this, guys!

I only learned all this from reading stuff on here - really I can't recommend this forum enough - if you have the time, just read around, no matter how far back. I've found this to be a really good and friendly forum.

I've had corn snakes for a year and started with a royal hatchling in July, then bought an 09 girl a month or so back ... yup, they're addictive all right. Yesterday I went to see another - in fact the first fully adult royal I'd ever handled ... 4ft long, she slid into my arms like a big cat and went to sleep in my coat hood, so laid back and gentle. I came home with her!

All the best with your royal or next snake!

Edited by - n/a on 30/11/2010 13:53:18
Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  12:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny is spot on about them being adictive! I only had Orlina for about 3 weeks and was already looking for my next one......well to tell the truth , my next few lol Ive got a few in mind, Mohave, pinstripe and fingers crossed I come into money, a Clown the list is endless. I think Spiders are beautiful to but would have 1 and add to them getting bred but thats my choice oh and to make everyone jealous including me.........

RREEEEEAAAAALLLLYYYYY want 1 but since theres only ment to be one in the world I think I'll need my mask and shotgun lol

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  13:02:50  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's a Toffee, there are more than one, there's a breeder in the UK, expensive though.

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  13:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to see....and cry at, the price lol

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  18:13:16  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK guys thanks for all the input about them.
I went to a friends house tonight who I haven't seen for a while, he's been breeding snakes around 25 years and he has a couple of gorgeous Rainbow Boas, so actually decided to look for one of those instead of a Python.
Although in future I do fully intend on getting a nice royal and a carpet python too.
Thanks again for the input :)

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  18:49:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nok1888

Would like to see....and cry at, the price lol

You're talking £20k+ for a visual, obviously less for a het.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think i might buy a pair lol, got a few 40 grand lying about ya now, like we all do

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000