Viv size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drchino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  01:21:59  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's quite a while before I can get a royal but I'm already making plans for the viv! I was initially planning to keep it in a rub while its young but I might just get a viv and partition it, slowly enlarging when need be.

My question is, what size viv would be best for an adult; 3 or 4ft? I've found mixed answers online so am not sure!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi

siaddy23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  02:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its down to preference, a 3ft viv is plenty large enough for the majority of royals and 4ft vivs are also fine but just need filling up a bit more with foliage and hiding places etc.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  07:04:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
3' is ample.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  07:53:34  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i plan to keep all my royals in a 3ft viv, as they like the tight spaces lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  09:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For an adult 3' is perfect. rough guide length of snake = length + depth of viv. Average royal is 4-4 half ft.
Remember they feel safer and have a much better feeding response when they are in smaller spaces. Same goes for there hides they
will choose the one that thy can just squeeze in.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  09:51:59  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok thanks, going on the length ratio I figured that a 3 footer would be best but I'd seen on some sites that some people recommended 4 footers. Figured I'd speak to the experts cos I trust them a bit more!

Just gotta decide on whether I'm going to leave my corn in the exo terra viv or just get a 3ft viv stack... Do you think a wooden viv could hold the weight of one of the big boy exo terras?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  09:57:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some snakes (like corns) may appreciate a little more space but as above, Royals are a little agoraphobic and like things nice and small.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  10:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So out of interest, at what point does a nice small area turn into a cruel small area?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Royals live down disused rodent burrows in the wild (well they are disused by the time the Royal has finished!), so they would be really tight small spaces.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  10:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

So out of interest, at what point does a nice small area turn into a cruel small area?

Well personally i keep my royals in rubs. i change the rub size as stated above when the snake is longer than the length + depth of rub. I change the hide when the snake can no longer squeeze it's whole body in and sometimes a little longer. This is not me being tight or anything but i have experimented with two different size hides of the same make side by side and the snake always chooses the snugger fitting hide. It's just the species. Again thats just how i do it.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  11:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drchino

ok thanks, going on the length ratio I figured that a 3 footer would be best but I'd seen on some sites that some people recommended 4 footers. Figured I'd speak to the experts cos I trust them a bit more!

Just gotta decide on whether I'm going to leave my corn in the exo terra viv or just get a 3ft viv stack... Do you think a wooden viv could hold the weight of one of the big boy exo terras?

A good guide to whether something's too heavy is, will the glass doors of the viv slide easily? I used to have a 60 litre fish tank on top of one viv ... umm, the doors were a little tight, but still ok ... off the top of my head that would be a weight of 60 kilos +.

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  12:21:44  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Royals are the complete opposite of my corn, she's got loads of nice little hides but she just sleeps under one of the plants almost in plain view!

Thanks BATS, I think it should be ok then

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000