Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  18:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone im Jason

been doing abit of research into RP's and strongly suggesting getting one . . . just would like abit of help on what to buy .. abit like someone telling me what to get for a starter pack haha . . ive owned a cornsnake before but unfortunatly he passed a couple of years ago and have always been fascinated in ballies so any advice for someone thinking of getting one would be greatly appreciated

many thanks jason

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jason, for a hatchling Royal:

4L RUB
2 small hides (cereal bar boxes etc)
Small water bowl (ash tray)
Heat Mat
PP Stat
Some fake plants
Kitchen towel for substrate

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I hope you get your royal. A good tip is to read through these posts, especially on the subject of setups, equipment etc,and there are the caresheets too, but here is a bit of a list to give you an idea.

Housing - a vivarium or a RUB (really useful box)

If a viv you will need:

Essentials:These are essential to your snake's health and welbeing

Substrate (Look up caresheet)

Infra red heat bulb and fitting (essential for royals in vivs)

Bulb guard

Dimmer stat

A good thermometer at either end, or use a temperature gun

Two hides at least (these can be cardboard boxes - no tape on them - this can melt and stick to the snake or they can be woven grass boxes from Instore etc, or cardboard kitchen roll inners, or purpose made reptile hides. The only thing you should avoid is wood, especially pine or cedar - the resins are toxic to all snakes.)

Water bowl - you can get special reptile bowls but a heavy pot dogbowl is fine. Something the snake can't tip over.

The hides should be a snug fit for the snake - this is what royals like.

The water bowl should be large enough for the snake to get in and soak if it feels like it.

Viv lock if you have young children

Non-essentials

Fake foliage - looks nice and adds to the 'cosiness' and 'cover' appreciated by every royal

Climbing branches - ditto

Piece of driftwood to scrape against when shedding

Really, to me these are essentials too.

With a rub your setup is a little different - a heatmat is needed for heat, again with the appropriate mat stat and thermometers.

Otherwise the list is the same as for the vivarium

A good place to get prices from is Blue Lizard - you can google it and they deliver free if your order's over £50. I like them.

I can only add - keep in spare bulb, substrate etc. And make sure you've got enough freezer room for their food.

And spare cash for emergencies, such as vet, which I hope you never have to need!

I've almost certainly forgotten something, but it's a start ...

Sorry if I've overlapped with anyone else.

Edited by - n/a on 06/12/2010 19:34:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I did - sorry BE

Sorry to hear about redundancy by the way

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lilith you just about covered everything what can I add ......appropriate sized food maybe ;) but I know that was a given :)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:33:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers Lil, feel free to help me out and buy my snakes

you too Robert

Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for hatchlings its pinkies yes? ... btw not to sound stupid but with digital therms n hygros do u leave the probe in the tank constantly or just check it a few times a day?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:36:50  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rat Pups or Rat Pinkies, yes.

Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for the idiocy but what is a pp stat and dimmer stat?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you don't sound stupid - but yes, you leave the probes in all the time. Melt a hole in a rub with a hot screwdriver or drill a hole in the viv and tape the probe lead in place on the outside of the viv or rub.

You should have seen my antics with my first dimmer stat lead! I had to splint it with a pencil to keep it straight!

EDIT - just seen query - I've never used a pulse stat but plenty of people can advise. A dimmer stat is used to control the heat from an infra-red bulb (snakes can't 'see' infra red light so having it on all the time won't stress them out.) As its name implies, it dims the bulb rather than turning it on and off, therefore ensuring a more accurate temperature range.

(If you want a good laugh, look back on the general forum for 'dimmer stats for the dim' by BATS)

Edited by - n/a on 06/12/2010 19:45:30
Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh some work went into my beardies tank in order to fit bulbs etc lol .. and like the beardie only needs so much heat and uv during a 24 period ... i know a rp doesnt need any uv but how long do they need their heat bulbs on during a 24 period?
Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
24 hour**

J Spiers
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason90

yeh some work went into my beardies tank in order to fit bulbs etc lol .. and like the beardie only needs so much heat and uv during a 24 period ... i know a rp doesnt need any uv but how long do they need their heat bulbs on during a 24 period?

All the time - the stat controls the heat and keeps the snake at the right temp, and the snake can't 'see' infra red light. So apart from checking temps you just leave it.

Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  19:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would a viv this size be alright for a hatchling?
http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/42/69722042.html

doesnt look very spacious inside which is a plus but height wise and stuff its abit large
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  20:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm... vexed question this and we debate all the time about it. In truth royals do like cramped surroundings, as you will see if you read other posts on this general keeping page and the general page, and as BE advocates, a small space to begin with is regarded as suitable for a hatchling. No reason why you shouldn't buy the viv and move the snake on later - rubs are very cheap and always come in useful later for feeding, cleaning out etc.

Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  20:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so he said a 4L RUB so is that this then ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Really-Useful-Box-4-Litre/dp/B000KN4DQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291665540&sr=8-1

and how long would this keep the snake before i had to upgrade to a bigger RUB
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  20:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

so he said a 4L RUB so is that this then ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Really-Useful-Box-4-Litre/dp/B000KN4DQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291665540&sr=8-1

and how long would this keep the snake before i had to upgrade to a bigger RUB

It would depend on the snake's size and growth rate - they're all different and there's no hard and fast rule. But if that viv's going for a good price, I'd grab it - it's going to come in handy later!

EDIT - just looked at the price - £60 for a 2' viv's not too bad, especially if there's some equipment with it. Is the light fitting infra-red(ie screw bulb fitting?) And is there a bulb guard? Those'd be worth about £25 new ...

Edited by - n/a on 06/12/2010 20:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  20:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the the rub BE was talking about tho yeah?

J Spiers
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  20:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

is the the rub BE was talking about tho yeah?

Yes, or any plastic storage box, but the Really Useful boxes have the best lockable handles and are the most durable. They don't come with any ventilation but it's easy to melt holes in them (just heat a large screwdriver in the gas fire or on a gas ring) for ventilation and stat probes etc.

Go to Top of Page

Jason90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  20:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
many thanks mate ... only thing left to do now is convince the mum and dad haha not a easy task

J Spiers
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  20:28:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, then move to a 9L or 12L RUB when bigger, that should last them for a year or so.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000