New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jackie wilcox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  15:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi iue got four royals adult one of fiue month which they both eat fine an 2 brothers of to months they strike they constict then after a while they leaue it iue tried euerythin i can think of they bite it al oua like they wanna eat it its like they dont know how please help any suggestions would be really great

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  15:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Valhalla does this with me sometimes, she'll bite and constrict then after about 10 mins leave it alone and forget about it.

Have they fed with you before or are they new to you?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  15:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Jackie, sorry to hear about the non-feeders. Snakes can be such awkward little gits! Going to ask a few questions to get a clearer picture - and I expect other people will ask more, but the more we know, the easier it is to suggest solutions. I can't call myself an expert - I got my first royal in July, and have had corn snakes for a year or so.

What are the snakes' weights, and are they fed mice or rats and of what size?

Do you offer the prey on tongs or leave it in with them?

Do you warm the prey, especially its nose - this can sometimes get a reluctant feeder grabbing and taking - although you don't seem to have any problem getting them to strike feed!

How are they housed, and what are their temperatures?

How long have you had the reluctant feeders, and have they eaten with you? (Some snakes can take a few weeks to settle before eating but the enthusiastic response is very hopeful. Also at this time of year feeding can be erratic.)

Sometimes a snake will wait for ages to ensure that even a defrost prey is 'dead' before eating it - this seems to be an instinctive thing. One of my snakes likes the prey left in with her - she will eat it in her own sweet time.

I've probably forgotten details here, and there are far more experienced people on here who will help you, but this is just a rough guide to the kind of info which will be useful. All the best!

Sorry if I've overlapped with anyone else!

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  16:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^This, also what are the temperatures in the warm and cool end? What kind of thermometer are you using? What heat source and thermostat are you using? Any pictures of the setup would help a lot too :-)

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  17:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok presuming your feeding with tongs and your temps are ok as there actully interested in the food, striking and constricting. The next thing i would do is brain a slightly smaller mouse/ rat a bit this enhances the feeding response. Although you have them striking this may get them to actually eat. Also once they have struck and started to constrict grab part of the mouse and wiggle it as if it's alive for a little. This will make them constrict harder and again enhance the feeding response. Then close lid or viv and leave in complete darkness and privacy for 20mins. good luck

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Rich says above make sure you leave them in peace and darkness after you feed that gives them the confidence to eat knowing they won't be disturbed, it's always a temptation to watch but that will come in time with growing confidence, make sure the food is the right size too, start small and when they are eating regularly gradually increase the size. I have had some that strike and leave, usually because they aren't hungry and just defending themselves against a possible threat, which would be the case in the wild so don't worry too much. I have had one snake that didn't feed for nearly three months after I got him but now he is feeding fine. Don't handle too often but weigh every couple of weeks to make sure they aren't losing too much weight. When you feed make sure the food is warm, especially the head and use tongs to keep your scent off the food, as Lilith said above it's ok to leave overnight and they make still feed but remove the following morning and wait a week before trying again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000