Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  02:18:24  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

Got a few questions about the heat control for the royal python which is housed in an exo terra 18" square vivarium

When I first bought the set up with earl there was no heat mat on the base of the tank and the heat bulb was one that was silver then clear around the edges but red underneath and 60w, temperatures at the hot end of the tank never got above 74 degrees so I bought a small heat mat to go under the tank on the hot side under his hide, its an exo terra desert small 8" x 8" heat mat that is stuck to the underside of the tank (switched on permanently) and I also replaced the bulb with an infa red 100w heat bulb which is switched on around 9am till 10pm and switched off during the night, this keeps the vivarium at a steady 30 degree c whilst heat lamp is switched on but has dropped to about 20 degree c when I come to switch the heat lamp back on in the morning

This 10 degree drop has had me thinking as to whether I should use a thermostatically controlled system instead but the python seems happy enough to move about to where he is comfy in the vivarium, he eats well and is a happy placid snake so I tend to think why alter something that the snake seems happy with?

He spends most of the day time under the hide on the cool side of the viv and mainly comes out to play once infa red lamp is switched off at night having a good roam round until he settles down on the heat mat under his hide on hot side for the night but I have noticed that sometimes when am on the computer at the side of his viv he will come to the front of the viv and if I open up the doors he will sometimes crawl out himself onto my lap if I dont lift him out, really does seem a happy, relaxed snake

It was also mentioned that the snake only ever fed every 14 days or so on a single medium mouse when I first took him but noticed within a couple of days of upping the viv temp he was hungry so fed him which was 5 days after his last feed and been feeding him every 5 days since but was advised to make it every 7 days by local pet shop when I went to buy some more mice, this batch of medium mice were definitely bigger than the previous ones and he managed them easily so thinking am gonna move him up to large mice on his feed day next week and then stick to one feed every 7 days ?

This is a pic of him a couple of days ago, he is supposedly about 3yrs old but I weighed and measured him and he is 24" long and 3720 grams which according to the weight/age chart possibly makes him older than thought

He has put on noticeable size since ive had him, even the previous owner was surprised at how much he has grown in such a short time

Any advise would be great on my thoughts on the python or viv and also what heat controller/equipment is advisable

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  15:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have no experience with the type of enclosure Earl is in, but I'd say that in my experience either the heat mat (since it's underneath the enclosure and not in direct contact with the snake) or the bulb would be enough. Infra-red can stay on 24/7, as snakes do not 'see' red light and can't be stressed by it in the same way as white light. Whichever you choose, you will need a mat stat or dimmer stat for the bulb. So, the good news is, you will only need to buy one stat.

When operating the stat, take no notice of the temp on the stat dial ... you will need to keep adjusting until the temp is correct in the tank - they are fiddly things!

Oops, edit, got carried away and forgot about feeding. Personally I go by Blackecho's feeding table:

0-400gm feed every 5 days
400-800gm feed every 7 days
800-1200gm - feed every 10 days
1200gm+ - feed every 14 days

Feed 10-15% of snake's body weight.

Well, this is just my preference - it suits me.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - n/a on 04/01/2011 15:09:49
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  15:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Martin, there's a few different ways to set up a viv but also some hard and fast rules. One of these being a thermostat. There is just too much that can go wrong with heating equipment that is not controlled by a thermostat. I'll go through how i would set up what you have and you can compare it to other replies you'll recieve.

1. Purchase a dimming thermostat such as
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/thermostats-555/habistat-dimming-thermostat-26743.html or

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/thermostats-555/habistat-dimming-thermostat-day-night-26744.html

This thermostat will work perfectly with your Infa Red 100w bulb

2. Ditch the heat mat - with the bulb being controlled you will be able to leave it running providing a constant hot spot and ambient temp. Earl will then thermo regulate between the two sides of the viv. If you do decide to keep the heat mat that too needs to be on a thermostat as they can reach temp of over 100F (38C)

The problem with how the set up is at the moment is that because the weather is cold and the viv is glass so not well insulated your getting away with the 100w bulb being left on uncontrolled. But when the weather starts to warm up it could more than over heat such a small space.

3. At 24" yes he only needs feeding every 7-10 days and could definitely take adult mice. A good guide is to go for prey that's 10-15% of his body weight.

Hope this all makes sense, good luck with little earl.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  15:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

oops sorry for overlap lilith. Think were saying exactly the same thing anyway

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  15:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

oops sorry for overlap lilith. Think were saying exactly the same thing anyway

LOL - No probs, Bob - and you know a lot more about that kind of tank anyway.

Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  18:32:54  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the input, all going in nicely and will deffo be getting stat system sorted

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  18:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no prob's, remember you can only use a dimmer stat with an IR bulb.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  20:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those two stats seems to be a bit expensive. Check this one http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1729&ProductGroupID=909
It took me some time to compare the prices but I haven't found any cheaper than that one. I'm just waiting for mine.
Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  00:28:24  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks for the links, I like the idea of the day/night dimmer stat will have a good read this weekend and order one, I assume I will need to buy a timer as well or is it all built into the unit ?

Martin

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  06:59:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you buy a day/night stat with magic eye, it senses when the light goes off (or sun goes down) automatically.

Just to agree with others, I have my red lights on 24/7 on a dimming stat.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  10:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bought mine with the magic eye but to be honest i don't use it because the viv will naturally drop as few degrees at night unless its in a heat controlled room. Think it comes into it's own if your looking to drop night time temps for cooling before breeding.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  11:16:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the ME.

Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  15:07:33  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Agreed, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the ME.

Sorry, whats ME short for ?

Have people used the microclimate or habistat ones on here, in short after recommendation from personal use experience before I buy one of them and also is it worth me buying the day/night stat as I like the idea of the temp dropping a tad at night as it would in their natural environment but sounds like most don`t use the feature ?

Martin

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  15:44:01  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ME= magic eye used to control night time temp drop.

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  15:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the basic model Microclimate and Habistat dimming stats with infra-red, and they're fine, but as I said above, the reading on the dial often bears no relation to the temp registered by the probe - you just have to fiddle about till you get it right. My only quibble with the Microclimate ones is that you need a precision screwdriver or similar to turn the awkward little adjusting gismo.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  16:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Martin, I've got the microclimate one's with magic eye. I use it with heat mats as mine are in rubs. I don't really use the feature as the temp in the room drops a few degrees at night affecting the temp in the rubs, although the mat temp stays the same.. However been cooling of a few that I'm attempting to breed so I'm using it for that. I know it's not necessary to cool but it's a feature the stats got so why not. At the end of the day I think it's only an extra £10 so if you don't mind spending it grab it. I'm a bit of a gadget head so always get sucked in with the optional extras.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  16:08:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed with BATS, I personally use the Habistat ones. I bought a couple from the last Doncaster show for £30 each.

Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  16:36:52  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

Is it a case of 1 stat per vivarium as am setting up 2nd viv now for brb so may as well order both at same time if I need 2 ?

Martin

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  17:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, afraid so, you will need one for each viv ... if it's anything like my lot, your house will end up looking like Battersea Power Station ...

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  17:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinking6

Hiya

Is it a case of 1 stat per vivarium as am setting up 2nd viv now for brb so may as well order both at same time if I need 2 ?

Martin

I use UTH (heat mat) only in my viv. I have the exact same set-up in 2 vivs controlled by 1 thermostat.

People who use racks can have the entire rack controlled by 1 thermostat.

The trick is - the 2 (or more) vivs would have the exact same set-up using the exact same heat sources displaying the same exact temp range without the thermostat. Then you can use the same thermostat.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  23:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If yourdoing it like this it's best to place the vivs beside each other and not on top of each other.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave