Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Too much too soon? your thoughts Python owners...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  22:38:02  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well I recently posted a topic about whether or not I should buy a Python.
The response I got was pretty good.
I had a lot of concerns about heating and such like.
But after a close friend has swapped both his BRBs for a Dumerile Boa, he has offered me both his Pythons, one in a RUB and one in a big viv, with all the heat mats, lighting, thermostats (pulse) and everything I need for them for £275 which in my opinion is a good deal (he paid about £200 just for the viv not long ago).
He just isn't really interested in Pythons anymore and is moving onto Boas.
I have some quite a bit of research into them now after seriously considering one, got lots of information from all the helpful people on here.
But I'm not sure about getting 2 for my first purchase.
Does anyone think it might be a bit too much too soon?
Or are they not really that much different to buying 1.
Sounds a bit stupid but don't want to get it too fast just because it's a bargain and he's a friend.
Sorry it turned into a bit of a book again but need some opinions from all you Python owners

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  22:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not? It sounds like a very good deal, and if he's a close friend he can give you tips and guidance and also he knows the snakes and how they will behave.

The only thing is, you mention heat mats. This is only my opinion, but due to risk of thermal blocking, royals are better off with infrared/ceramic bulb heating in a viv, it really is much safer for them. The heat mat under the rub will be fine.

I bought Shahi as a hatchling in July, then in november Saada, who is cf09, and Surahi, who is cb06 - and 4' long, 1300gm+. I had never handled such a big snake before, but, even though I live alone, have never had a moment's trouble with her - what a big *****cat! (Edit - aah, the swear filter tagged me! Teddy bear then!) Royals are so slow-moving and placid. I've had more trouble with corn hatchlings, truly.

I should go for it if I were you!

Edited by - n/a on 07/01/2011 22:58:47
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  23:03:27  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no the viv one comes with ceramic heater and the lot.
And I know the snakes, been to his house plenty of times, seen them, held them etc.
Placid as they can be.
I just thought I would see peoples opinions before I decide either way, I can't afford them just now anyway only got £200, but they aren't advertised for sale so should be there a little while I hope.
I don't really know what's stopped me, I have the space because the viv isn't really wide but it's got good height to it, so should be big enough for a full grown Royal, I think it's 3foot wide but 4 or 5 foot tall.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  01:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be perfectly honest, you'll buy a second within a month anyway as we all did so why not :P

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  09:01:42  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

To be perfectly honest, you'll buy a second within a month anyway as we all did so why not :P

this is very true, and will prob still happen when u buy these 2 lol
if i was you, id go for it, what harm can it do

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  10:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there I agree with all the others and like Kelfezond said you would end up getting another one any way if you have the space go for it.
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  13:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah go for it! between here and your friend, you'll never be short of advice should you need it and as everyone has said, no one knows when to stop lol! enjoy it, its a great deal!!

1.0.0 royal "ophion"
1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
0.1.0 coastal carpet python- "serendipity"
0.1.0 bunny rabbit (?) "Truffle"

RIP Prisma Pequeno- Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  13:44:45  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks everyone.
It's soooo much better on here than rfuk.
Everyone is supportive on here, if I had posted the same topic on there everyone would have had a go for being stupid probably.
Anyway thanks for all the positive messages, I am going to see the snake shortly when I go take a look at his new Boa.
If I do buy them, I will no doubt be posting pictures tonight.
Also with them being older, I think the male is '08 and female '09.
And he handles them and stuff, will they still need a settling in period?
They will be staying in there current set-ups, just moving home...

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  13:58:16  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes, they will still need a settling in period as there will be new smells and tastes in your house, so still best to let them settle in until they eat

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you get them??

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  15:46:31  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I did! :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000