New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  19:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site is about sharing info good and bad, well I learn't a very important and slightly obvious lesson. While stacking my 2 vivs I put the Royal Python vivarium on the bottom and the corn snake viv on the top. Within 30 minutes the corn snake vivarium temperatures were slowly climbing up and up and up (5 degrees above normal in hot and cold end) I don't know how far the temperatures would have gone if left and I didn't want to wait and find out so decided I'd just swap them round straight away. The corn snake temps went back to normal within an hour so problem solved.

SO that was my lesson, heat rises!!! Obvious when you think about it (which I didn't).

Edited by - Lotabob on 14/01/2011 19:17:27

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  19:25:30  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lmao, thats why im putting my corns viv on the bottom lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  19:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - but yes, it's an important point to make, especially at this time of year. I've realised a couple of mistakes I made in the summer about siting vivs - nothing disastrous, but going to have to do quite a makeover soon myself.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  19:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have righted the wrong almost straight away, I was monitoring the temperatures to make sure the stat was set perfectly (it was). Its one of those obvious things thats so obvious it never crosses your mind. I have positioned them out of direct sunlight (if/when we get some), that one did cross my mind.

Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  00:40:59  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

Posted this on the brb forum but noticed this thread on here so

Ive recently persuaded the wife to let me have the brb as well as earl my royal so picked one off as exotics, moneys sent to secure the brb so I just need to set up the viv for him and can get delivery sorted then

My main question is about viv position as in would it be too much a problem to have the brb viv on top of earls viv, both vivs are going on microclimate stats once they arrive next week so temp should be ok to control individually and I was also thinking that having the brb viv on top may help with keeping the humidity but not sure if am likely to have cold side issues although I could cover the underside of the brb`s viv with a reflective material if need be ?

Everything is coming this week so just need to be sure my idea for viv position is ok before I set the viv up ?

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  01:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what the cold end requirements are for a BRB (haven't looked it up yet though a BRB is on my list too), I'm assuming they would be pretty high. My corn snake viv hit 26 degrees at the cold end sat on top of my royal's viv. and the hot end was registering 34 degrees, the stats had shut off all heating in the corn's viv so that heat was only coming from the heat escaping out the top of the royal's viv. It hadn't levelled off either that temperature was still climbing when I took them apart. I would say heating needs to be on an individuual viv basis and any way of insulating or dispersing any lost heat is going to be better in the long run when it comes to regulating the temperature requirements of your snakes.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000